The Politics Thread

• Members

After reading the official statement, I would say that it sounds to me like

the Joint Chiefs are giving shade to the prez.
They comment that they're doing contact tracing, and quarantining, and have been following all CDC guidelines since April.

Quoting the article:
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pentagons-top-military-leaders-quarantining-coast-guard-admiral/story?id=73454458

"We are aware that Vice Commandant Ray has tested positive for COVID-19 and that he was at the Pentagon last week for meetings with other senior military leaders," said Jonathan Hoffman, the Pentagon's chief spokesman in a statement. "Some meeting attendees included other service chiefs. We are conducting additional contact tracing and taking appropriate precautions to protect the force and the mission."

"Out of an abundance of caution, all potential close contacts from these meetings are self-quarantining and have been tested this morning," Hoffman added. "No Pentagon contacts have exhibited symptoms and we have no additional positive tests to report at this time."

Hoffman also said that there's no change to the operational readiness or capabilities of the U.S. Armed Forces and that the senior military leaders are able to perform their duties from an "alternative work location."

"DoD has been following CDC guidelines since April with respect to temperature testing, social distancing and the wearing of masks to the greatest extent when social distancing is not possible and will continue to do so," said Hoffman.

-- end quote from article.

Edited by janea4old

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

So 3D chessmaster Trump just tweeted that he's ending discussions about COVID relief until after he gets re-elected. He's basically trying to blackmail the whole country into re-electing him. He's all but given up on trying to win the election because all of his worst impulses have taken over and been ramped up by the drugs and disease.

• Members

I have to wonder if McConnell, who never wanted to pass this, egged him on, assuming Trump will lose - this way the economy will be desolate by the time Biden is in office, and they will, along with the media, spend 24/7 blaming him, just as they blamed Obama for W's dead economy. 

• Members

I did my civic duty in Ohio today! Plus, they gave out something to press your choices on the touch screen without you having to use your fingers.

Please register in order to view this content

My dad will probably disown me if/when he learns I voted for Biden. Still - voting has never made me feel so good before!!!

• Members

I see what you're saying, but McConnell and Mark Meadows have been trying to shut down any relief talks for a while, haven't they? McConnell has seemingly just only cared about getting Amy Covid Barrett and other judges through, nothing else. 

• Members

I read a *speculation* somewhere that the Republicans are prioritizing the Supreme Court nomination over everything else, because it's a lifetime position that furthers the conservative agenda.  Even if they lose the House and/or the Senate, they figure they can eventually win it back later. But the court is for life.

I'm not sure I agree with that speculation. 

It might be true for those who are Republicans because they are so-called "christians" with a far right perspective.  They'd prioritize the Supreme Court.  It's the long game.

But I think there are also some Republicans who aren't religious -- they are Republicans because they want wealth, power, tax breaks, and corporate personhood, so they would prioritize keeping their seats.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

The other speculation I've seen - and I think it may be true - is McConnell and Trump know that if they get that seat, they can easily steal the election, even in a landslide win. So if Covid Barrett gets on, then nothing else may matter. If that is the case, then making people even more poor won't matter.