The Politics Thread

• Members

It works on all levels - distracts from things he wants to distract us from (terrible economic news; John Lewis' funeral), gets the media excited, gets his base excited and in full "own the libs" mode, and also lays the groundwork to allow him to contest the election results as well as get his cultists out in the streets with their guns. And it's already being used to further push people against mail-in voting. The most ludicrous part of it all is that mail-in voting would likely help Trump, but his paranoia won't let him see that. So now he is trying to simultaneously crush mail-in voting through killing the post office and hoping that Democrats will still vote by mail, having their votes canceled as a result. The sad thing is it could easily work.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I don't believe my vote will count if I don't vote in person - not with the Post Office gutting, and even blue states like New York completely botching the job. But if I do go and vote in person I will likely make myself and those around me sick. 

Trump has killed 150K people, and counting, to get this result. And we're just getting started. Sadly his tricks, along with the media's desperate need to declare a winner within a few hours, are going to be a big help to him. 

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

At least here in Michigan where I live, you don't have to mail in your ballot, you can drop it off in the secure envelope at the clerk's office anytime up to and including Election Day. That's what I did for the August 4th primary here. Also, at least in Michigan you can track your ballot on the Secretary of State's Website. You log in with your voter information and it tells you what day the ballot was mailed to you and if the Clerk's office received your ballot back.  

• Members

I wish John Lewis could have lived just four more months.  He deserved to see Trump defeated.  At least he seemed to have faith it would happen.

The part about an October surprise that the media will cover without bothering to vet is spot on.

• Members

We have total vote by mail in my state and I never mail in the ballot, I simply drop it off in a drive thru dropbox.  One year, during a May primary election, the ballots came the day before we left for Hawaii.  I decided to take them with us and mail from there.  Well, 3 weeks later when we returned and picked up OUR mail, there were 2 ballots that the post offices sent to our home address, when the address was clearly our county clerk.  Thank goodness the only thing on the ballot was a school board election.  I will never use the mail again.

• Members

We have ballot tracking here in Illinois so you can track everything online. Illinois is also hiring hundreds of ballot expediters because you cannot start counting ballots until the day of the election, but they can prep them. There was some funding in the Cares Act for elections. Once the ballot is received, your ballot status is updated. My mom, brother, and neighbors are all doing mail-in this year.  Of course Illinois is hardly a swing state, but there are congressional races , an additional seat the democrats are hoping to flip this year to add to the 2 that flipped last year and of course state legislative seats to maintain the super majority.