The Politics Thread

Toups

• Members
2 hours ago, lovely_m said:

I never would have thought that democrats would have the same problems that republicans had four years ago.

The difference, though, is that the GOP eventually rallied around Donald Trump, if only because they felt intimidated by his base supporters.  Would the centrists and moderates feel the same way about Bernie Sanders's supporters and other progressives?  That, as they say, is the $64,000 question.

4 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

RBG would have had to retire in 2014...I wish she had. I don't think she regrets her decision, but it's one that continues to hang over the Court, especially since, even if a Democrat wins the White House, the Senate is likely going to stay in GOP hands. They will not allow any pick by a Democrat to get on the bench, mark my words.

Agree.  The Democratic Party just didn't play its' proverbial cards right.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 38.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• Khan

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
6 minutes ago, Khan said:

The difference, though, is that the GOP eventually rallied around Donald Trump, if only because they felt intimidated by his base supporters.  Would the centrists and moderates feel the same way about Bernie Sanders's supporters and other progressives?  That, as they say, is the $64,000 question.

No, because of the primary system. Trump generally gets what he wants in primaries. The cultists don't. They tried this game in 2018 and they mostly lost their primaries, and the few who didn't went on to lose in November. The few exceptions, who were elevated as stars, like "The Squad," have, other than Ayanna Pressley (who is not a cultist), all mostly become meshed in scandal and controversy and haven't lived up to the hype. They couldn't even beat Dan Lipinski, and my guess is they won't this year either. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Folks are so obsessed with the so-called Squad that they are ignoring the very real work being done by other freshman Congresswomen of color.  For instance-

https://couriernewsroom.com/2019/11/05/rep-lauren-underwood-defying-legislative-expectations-for-a-freshman/

Also-

I'm really starting to think that the ignoring of certain women's accomplishments in politics compared to others is deliberate rather than just an oversight.

• Members
7 hours ago, Khan said:

The difference is that the Republican primary has "winner-take-all" states. Democrats award delegates proportionally. That's why it's all but impossible for Bernie to be the nominee, thank goodness.

4 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Folks are so obsessed with the so-called Squad that they are ignoring the very real work being done by other freshman Congresswomen of color.  For instance-

https://couriernewsroom.com/2019/11/05/rep-lauren-underwood-defying-legislative-expectations-for-a-freshman/

My squad is Lauren Underwood, Katie Porter, Sharice Davids, and Lucy McBath.

• Members
5 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Also-

I'm really starting to think that the ignoring of certain women's accomplishments in politics compared to others is deliberate rather than just an oversight.

Great.  Just what I needed.  Another reason for my type 2 diabetic mother to defend Donald Trump.

• Members
1 hour ago, Roman said:

Bloomberg is an out-and-out racist. Sanders is horrible, and Biden IMPO may be worse. the worse Dem field in many years. I have no idea who's coming out of this mess with the nom.

The person who gets the nom is the one who gets black voters in the south. That means it's either Biden or Bloomberg.

• Members

3 hours ago, marceline said:

The person who gets the nom is the one who gets black voters in the south. That means it's either Biden or Bloomberg.

Agree.  Joe Biden and Mike Bloomberg do stand the best chances of winning the "Black vote," both in the primaries, and in the election.  After them?  Maybe Elizabeth Warren, followed by Bernie Sanders.

Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar, on the other hand?  Well, thanks for playing, and enjoy the year's supply of Rice-a-Roni!  (No offense, @marceline.)

Edited by Khan

• Members
4 hours ago, Khan said:

Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar, on the other hand?  Well, thanks for playing, and enjoy the year's supply of Rice-a-Roni!  (No offense, @marceline.)

I like Klobuchar and I think she'd be an excellent president but I have no illusions about her ability to win.

As for Pete, right now his main value is blocking Bernie. Once we get to the southern primaries he's done.

• Members
4 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Apparently, Lis Smith, Pete Buttigieg's senior adviser, got caught out there operating this burner account that was posing as a black man on social media??? Just madness. SMH.  

Pete Buttigieg will do just about anything to get Black people to like him.

7 minutes ago, marceline said:

As for Pete, right now his main value is blocking Bernie. Once we get to the southern primaries he's done.

And so is his sham of a marriage.  Yes, I said it.

Edited by Khan

• Members
6 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Apparently, Lis Smith, Pete Buttigieg's senior adviser, got caught out there operating this burner account that was posing as a black man on social media??? Just madness. SMH.  

Looks like it may have been a real person, but I still wonder.

People would not be as wary - well some would, but not everybody - if the campaign didn't have a history of overstating/lying about black support. This happened again just earlier today: