Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Also, I'm watching to see how long the financial markets continue their downward slide.  The S&P 500 has already lost all the gains it made in 2018.  I wonder how much sustained support and complicity Trump Inc. can expect if they continue to tank financial markets?  Especially through Election Day?

• Members

They probably know that if they stick with Trump they will get sweeteners to help bail them out, even if the public gets screwed over. 

I keep reading that what we're doing to China is a big reason for our slump, because they're slumping. Yet no one in the White House (no one with any voice anyway) saw this coming, or cared. They don't care about anything but themselves and their nihilism and bigotry.

• Members

The markets are not about the ordinary person but about shareholders.  Remember that distinction between Wall Street and Main Street?  This is about Wall Street and Wall Street does not like volatility and from everything I've read over the years, neither do they like a Bear market, which is what this is threatening to become (if it isn't already there).

Financial pain will eventually trickle down to the masses when things get bad enough (or if it's in an industry that affects consumers like the housing market) but the gains on Wall Street are rarely felt by the masses, and these  subsequent shake ups are acutely felt by Wall Street, and K Street, by extension.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

^ I've never seen Avenatti as a serious contender. His comments don't bother me though because we've had that very same discussion on this message board just a few weeks ago. I expressed my dismay that the nominee may have to be someone like Joe Biden or John Kerry and others here said it probably would have to be. 

We live in a time of renewed racism and sexism , I don't see any reason Avanatti or anyone of us should have to pretend otherwise.  What he's saying maybe self serving, but it doesn't make him wrong and he won't be the nominee in any case.

• Members

The facts, I am sorry to say, speak for themselves: for eight years, we had Barack Obama making all the right arguments, and what was the response?  A Congress who was openly hostile and treasonous; and a constituency filled with idiots who STILL believe he's a Kenyan-born Muslim.

There are days when I believe there should never be another non-Caucasian president, or another candidate who isn't white, Christian and male.  We just don't deserve to be so progressive.

Edited by Khan

• Members

We're going through a terrible time in our history, but I think it's possible things will get better, if we survive. Just remember that Hillary did win the majority of votes and this country did elect Obama twice.  I also think we have a better chance of electing another biracial man before a woman, which is why the prospect of Elizabeth Warren as nominee scares me.  We have seen over the last couple of years how much this country still scorns women. She is probably the candidate I agree with most on the issues, but even now I think Trump can beat her.

• Members

I think it depends on the man and on the Republican who is running. I think Biden would have only won the White House in 2016 - the electorate that year was just right for his tough guy routine and his charm. Even then he might not have won, but it's the only year I think it could have happened. I don't know if Kerry could have won in any year. 

I think we're at the point with the right where a woman or a minority male Republican could get the nomination and beat a white male Democrat, as long as they are insane, sexist, insane, anti-abortion, insane, contemptuous of poor people, insane, homophobic, insane, xenophobic, insane, and racist. Whether that is a sign of progress or a sign that truly depraved self-destruction now conquers all, I don't know.

Speaking of Avenatti:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/25/politics/julie-swetnick-justice-department-judiciary-committee/index.html

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Are people going to act as if this is the worst it's ever been?  This country has reports of children being bombed in churches during the 1960s.  Back then, I wonder whether people could've ever conceived of a Barack Obama.  

Meanwhile, I'm sparing a thought for the people who have to deliver the mail.  Having a job with the Post Office used to be considered a good job with steady benefits but with all we have seen in the last decade or so, with how the USPS is languishing and then there is the inherent dangers of possible explosives being sent in the mail, those post office jobs don't look so great, after all.

I feel for the people who must deliver the mail.  Surely, they're not being paid nearly enough to have to deal with this sort of thing.