The Politics Thread

• Members

Charlie Pierce nailed this years ago. The Republican Party fetishizes cruelty:

"We cheer for cruelty and say that we are asking for personal responsibility among those people who are not us, because the people who are not us do not deserve the same benefits of the political commonwealth that we have. In our politics, we have become masters of camouflage. We practice fiscal cruelty and call it an economy. We practice legal cruelty and call it justice. We practice environmental cruelty and call it opportunity. We practice vicarious cruelty and call it entertainment. We practice rhetorical cruelty and call it debate."

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a26368/cruelty-in-excelsis/

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

did NOT agree with his politics or how he handled things at times, but a true warrior. an american patriot who served a nation that always didn't serve him, and, rightly and wrongly, felt he did the best he  could. and now, he has gotten in the Fighter Jet, and strapped in to take one last flight Home. 

Godspeed Sir, and Thank You.

• Members

R.I.P. to Senator John McCain.  Although I didn't agree with much of his politics and I won't forget that vote against recognition of a Martin Luther King Jr. national day, I do recognize his trying to undo a lot of the damaging rhetoric coming from his own political party, like when he tried to convince a hapless woman in that town hall to recognize Obama's humanity as well as his eligibility for the office of President of the United States.

Also, that very dramatic moment on the floor of Congress where he gave the thumbs down to the repeal of the ACA a.k.a. Obamacare was memorable.

I'm not fans of the McCains but I do empathize with just about anyone who has lost a loved one to such a dreadful disease.  

There is a strange symmetry to the fact that Sen. McCain died 9 years to the day that Senator Ted Kennedy died of the same disease.  Has there been progress in the fight against these insidious diseases like cancer?

Edited by DramatistDreamer