Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This race is an outlier so if Moore wins they will just say it was him and they still won. 

I'm wary of sites seeking attention and revenue, like the New York Times, trying to game coverage to get eyeballs. That means if this goes to Moore (which I hope it doesn't but have to assume it will) you'll have the usual demoralized Democrats, and you'll have Republicans gleeful and also having another stick to beat the media with. Republicans win, yet again, on multiple levels, with a media happily playing along for their own benefit.

• Members

You know I love you, but in all fairness: Who gives a fùck?

Win or lose, this is much much closer than anyone expected. The GOP can spin it however they like, but they know what this kind of very close race in Alabama of all places will mean for the rest of the nation in the midterms - very, very bad things.

As many of their own have said it is lose-lose for them. If he wins they have to seat a sexual predator - which will doom them next year. If they lose they have an even bigger sign of what's coming.

Jones is up by 7K. Also: Fox News has now switched away from discussing Alabama.

ETA: Doug Jones wins.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I would have agreed some years ago, but not in more recent years, as it's a finely tuned vicious cycle of "moral victories" that mostly lead to Democrats not really changing anything while the GOP and their allies in the press make a meal of their dysfunction and string them along.

If Jones wins then I'll give a lot of credit to him and the voter turnout in Alabama (and the DNC as they apparently invested heavily in turnout) but the Republicans are so good at localizing elections and at getting the results they want - the main focus will just switch to "Moore shouldn't even have been that close" and more focus on how now Democrats will hope for too much, etc. etc. 

In the meantime I'm just pleased if Jones won and hope that the party gets out of its own way.

• Members

Thank you and this was a huge failure on the part of the GOP both at the state and national levels.

The GOP Governor calling an election this year when she could have left it to 2018 and left Strange in there until then

Appointing Strange who lost in the primary by a Governor who was impeached just after Strange was appointed

Had the GOP in Alabama appointed someone relatively clean, it would have been an easy appointment and race. Strange had the taint of Bentley which is why he lost to Moore

I don't want to hear how Mitch McConnell, Bannon, or Trump are some tactical geniuses

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I wonder if two elections heavily carried by black voters will cause any of those articles about black voters not caring to be shelved. 

Moore is a monster, and the whole country owes those voters a debt of gratitude if these results hold.

I also hope his horse shits on his oversized cowboy hat.

Edited by DRW50