Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

In this case I think it's also the steady stream of women who have come forward about Franken. 

It seems unfair to push him out without an investigation, when there's no indication that even Blake Farenhold is going anywhere after payments of hush money are all over the press, but in this case it feels like part of the basic principles that Democrats have vs Republicans. The main time that Democrats refused to go along with a drumbeat was Clinton and impeachment, and the general apathy/quiet disdain that many in the party apparatus seem to feel for the Clintons probably makes them regret that all the more. 

I have a lot of respect for what Al Franken did in his years in office, but looking back, given his past working at a cesspit like SNL and some of the stuff he'd written, I think it was a mistake to clear the way for his run. Many could have beaten Norm Coleman in 2008. Franken likely got more support because he was close to Paul Wellstone, but sadly this is about the worst way to honor Paul Wellstone's memory that I can think of.

• Members

I deeply admire what Al Franken's done in Congress and I love his other work, but it doesn't surprise me he has skeletons coming out as a comedian of a certain age. I wish he could stay, but given the number of accusers now I don't think we can be equal to the moment (or stand up to the Moore situation) if he doesn't resign. I don't think there's a choice.

• Members

That's all probably true, Vee, but why can't I shake the feeling that some of the women who have come forward about Franken are being motivated politically?  To me, this feels less like taking down another, alleged sexual predator and more about taking out someone who posed a challenge to the GOP.

Meanwhile, senior citizens will go after the GOP when they gut Medicare and Social Security, and I. Can't. Wait.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I suspect some are. But that doesn't make the situation any less untenable given the volume of the accusers and where we're at socially in this moment, especially with Roy Moore. All we can do is hope voters remember which party stood with predators and which party tried to clean house of men, however nobleminded, with serious lapses in judgment.

• Members

I do think some of this is politically motivated, especially the first accusations. Some of the others I believe. 

The sad part is that I've heard people blame the women who came forward about Weinstein for starting this that has led to Franken. This is exactly what the GOP wants - it gets rid of someone they hate and also helps people resent women who have been harassed. 

I'm at the point where I think all the people who will be upset over losing their social safety net will still blame Democrats, or still just vote on hating non-whites, abortion and lgbt. 

I did laugh at this:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/06/investing/coal-tax-cuts-robert-murray-trump/index.html

• Members

I'm not sure exactly when it aired because I just saw the snippet of it on CNNi newsroom but there was an absolutely insane interview on Anderson Cooper with Roy Moore's spokeswoman. I've never seen anything like it tbh. They're claiming that ten or eleven different groups are all conspiring to bring him down apparently.

It's been getting okay coverage here but I haven't been exactly following it. Is he going to pull it out in the end?

In Australian political news, our marriage equality debate has brought out some more insanity courtesy Bob Katter (a dusty old relic who had to create his own party after the Nationals basically told him to bugger off). He naturally represents Queensland.

• Members

Trump has more allegations against him than Franken and he is allowed to stay in office without so much as an investigation of the allegations.  I am not sticking up for Franken, but can't come to terms with that, or that Moore most likely will be joining the Senate.  I'm just too f*cking old for this sh*t day in and day out.

Edited by Ponds