Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm surprised he's basing his pessimism in part on Republicans keeping the House. There's no way they're losing the House no matter what happens. This isn't 2006 - the maps were not as gerrymandered then. 

I do agree with him, overall, but he and the people tweeting under him are basically saying there's no point in anything, it's all done, we're over, the world will never trust us again (they really didn't that much before anyway...). He's probably right, but if he's that sure then I'd say the only real solution people would have is if they have the money or resources to leave for another country. If they do, then good luck to them - many of us don't. 

• Members

The Republican base has shown itself to be a threat to this country which is why we need to find a way to marginalize them. Unfortunately, people on the left really get off on trying to "reach" them because they see it as some kind of moral imperative. At this point Trump's voters need to be treated like asbestos. When you find asbestos in a building you don't try to remove it, you seal it off. 

• Members

Carl - Right! I'm trying to be a little more optimistic than that. Like he said maybe our institutions still have enough life in them to get 45 out.  I just feel we have to be on guard and protest if there is any sign of Mueller getting fired.

I've certainly done all I can to marginalize them in my life, but I don't see how we can do that on a national basis. Right wing media is one of the big problems, if there were someway to hold them accountable that would be a good start.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Looking at this from someone who has very close ties to an immigrant identity, I have to say that the U.S.' place in the world is indeed diminished to people in other parts of the world.

It didn't start with just Trump (G.W. Bush's legacy also did a lot of damage to how people internationally view the U.S.) but Trump accelerated things to a vast degree.

It happened to Rome, it happened to Great Britain--empires fall and/or lose their standing.

I don't see the U.S. falling into ruin like Rome but will be more like Great Britain that still wields considerable financial power and cultural allure but no longer wields the political might that it once had.

Did anyone read the Politico interview with John Boehner? I read it yesterday.

He basically said there is no Republican Party, they have no leader and he believes this will mark the end of the two party system.

In terms of the survival of the U.S. institutions, this is a pretty open question. It's not just the considerable damage Trump has done in such a short time, it is also how the lack of understanding of basic civics has allowed many voters to be duped into picking the worst, most destructive choices. 

It's the horrible way that gun violence and drug addiction is allowed to ravage the U.S. population.

It's the way that people have given corporate shills the power shape our thinking, perceptions of ourselves and each other.

It is the way in which education has been allowed to be diminished while simultaneously being removed as a pathway to enlightenment for millions of people (we now have politicians determining who should go to college and who should go to trade school based on zip codes and what high school they attended, income level, etc).

Now intellectualism is seen as a negative thing.

Once cherished ideals have now been turned on their heads.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

It will take a long, long time for us to recover on any level, if we can. I believe we can, but it has to begin here. And it has to begin with someone standing to stop Trump from firing Mueller, which I am not convinced anyone in the GOP leadership has the spine to do. Their land of magical thinking - beholden and cowering to donors and their base, living in denial thinking this will all hold and is survivable so long as they get tax cuts for the Kochs and Mercers - is crumbling by the day.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The U.S. needs to for once have an honest open public discussion of history, economics and what are actually the core beliefs of this country. 

Look at the role of government, what are the responsibilities of the citizenry, what are the responsibilities of government. I don't think most of the U.S. citizenry are not even clear on this.

Maybe something close to a Truth & Reconciliation commission.  Recognize the facets, the forces and the thinking that led to a Trump (and those of his ilk) in the first place. 

Also, find a way to diminish the ghastly influence of corporations (and the billionaires who run them) out of the mechanism of government.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I agree, but all this will take years - if possible - and a transformative, positive leader we do not currently have available with leverage and popularity to make it happen. What's needed first is something to stop the slide.

Whoa: