Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The spinning of health care protesters as "violent" and "dangerous" goes all out (with lots of help from the media, I imagine), with one particularly craven (and from what I've read in the past, incredibly stupid) Congressman even trying to bring up Gabby Giffords. Funny how none of them gave a damn about Gabby Giffords when Palin and friends put her in their "crosshairs." 

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/republicans-obamacare-protests-safety-234733

• Members

Which is funny because during the health care town halls, Freedomworks sent out protesting kits directing protesters to be disruptive. That said, I'm glad for some of these people to feel a little fear of their own base for once.

Edited by marceline

• Members

Betsy bought that seat and any senators that didn't get in line were threatened with the Devos family funding a campaign for any potential primary challengers of said senators. Murkowski and Collins both come from states that are not ridiculously partisan. 

• Members

Also, I've read that Alaska is too rural to benefit much from a voucher system, so her constituents probably weren't clamoring for it.

This development really makes me sad. I just feel like our country is in such a state of chaos and upheaval. I guess that's what some people wanted.

• Members

Today has been one of those days which reminds me of why I became an independent.  I truly hate partisan politics.

This morning I watched some of Maxine Waters on Democracy Now and it's great that she and her fellows are all in on fighting Donald Trump, but I am still dismayed by what little some of them have accomplished over the decades they've been in public office.  And it's sad that some of them have not done much to prepare the next generation for office.

Fight to get things for people but also work on putting together networks to help the people be a resource to themselves and others.  

I've heard complaints about old textbooks being used in California public schools for years, but an old textbook is no reason for a child not to learn how to read. Some basic problems can be addressed and Betsy Devos is not an excuse either.

Then there's this post on Huffington in which H.A. Goodman blames Trump's elections on the Democrats "cheating" Bernie Sanders.  I don't agree with what the DNC did but there's no guarantee how Bernie Sanders would have fared--maybe he would have been a counter to the anti-woman voters.  It is all moot and the blame game does not fix anything.  

The whole thing could be discouraging because it shines a light on how broken the Democrats are as a party, and coupled with the gerrymandering, makes the chances of them doing much mid-term weak.  

Instead of being discouraging though, it's tiresome.  Republicans are pushing through harmful legislations while Trump creates chaos and the media keeps insisting that everyone stand at the roadside and watch the wreck.  Meanwhile the Democrats are watching the wreck and in this constant state of outrage during breaks from finger pointing.  

And Fear Mongering 101 has taken an odd turn.  Rep. Sean Duffy went on CNN to defend the Muslim ban and basically shrugged off Dylan Roof and others because there's nothing that can be done about them.  But, in his eyes, the bright side is that Nikki Hayley took down the confederate flag.

ITA with Bette Midler about the damage caused by Prop. 13 but that's a state issue. 

Unless there is some sort of quitclaim loophole then eventually it will die but there's probably nothing stopping it being killed in some other way.  California is special that way.

Edited by Wales2004
separating merged post