October 20-24, 2008

Toups

• Members

Are these 18-49 viewer numbers confusing anybody else? The ABC release has two diff. sets for AMC/GH. According to the NBC release DAYS is tied for 3rd in 18-49 but according to the ABC release it's 2nd (among soaps) and not tied with anything.

ETA: Oh season to date, I'm good now, still two sets of numbers on the ABC one.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I'm glad to see AMC went up with the tornado..but it's been back to much FF'ing for me this week. Greenlee, Ryan, Aidan, Annie...zzzzz. Adam and JR figthing again...zzzz. I am interested to see how the Angie/Jesse and Kendall/Zach/Bianca/Reese stuff plays out though..and Erica/Adam, Pete/Colby and Jake/Amanda/Taylor stories are good, so at least AMC has that going for it. And of course, I want to see how AMC handles Myrtle's funeral (SOB!)..I'm really hoping Greenlee and Ryan are leaving together, and Aidan can go too. Greenlee would have been so much more fun with someone else, but AMC insists on the Rylee pairing, and I just can't get behind that. Annie is fun to watch away from the Rylee vortex of suck, so hopefully she can move on..to JR, maybe??

Oh and just because I can't say it enough--AMC: bring back Dixie, Brooke and Liza!

• Members

Total Viewers

DAYS 2,990,000 (+290,000)

AMC 2,740,000 (+234,000)

Women 18-49 Rating

1.(1) Y&R 1.6 (+.1)

2.(2) DAYS 1.4 (+.1)

3.(2) GH 1.3 (SAME)

3.(5) AMC 1.3 (+.2)

Women 18-49 Viewers

1.(1) Y&R 1,050,000 (+94,000)

2.(2) DAYS 933,000 (+84,000)

3.(5) AMC 866,000 (+141,000)

4.(3) GH 862,000 (+17,000)

5.(4) OLTL 815,000 (+26,000)*

* Estimate

• Members

I'm glad AMC went up! Pratt is rebuilding the whole show, and each week it gets better. He's putting a soap STRUCTURE back in place, and the show is the strongest I've seen it since the early 90s. I know some fanbases are upset, but the overall show is finally viable again, and given it continues to improve... I have some hopes it can pull a "days" and rise from the ashes.

The 'event' Tornado wasn't just a stunt... it opened up some character oriented stories. And the human tornado (David) who blew in right after... has given some extra energy to the show. I feel like it's balanced again. Not just the same few people doing the same things. We have grey characters again, complex situations, sweet romance, drama, and humor. I can't believe a show that was such a mess is so much better. I hope the ratings continue to reflect this as word spreads.

• Members

Heh, I'm not getting DAYS upsurge - there's not more discussion on DAYS, no more advertising than usual, no Olympics, yet they've gone up 500,000 viewers in two weeks. The time slot move back to one in NYC happened back in September so can't credit that.

Onto AMC. I really felt aftermath week sucked but it was life and death and like with the aftermath of J/A's wedding that clearly brings in ratings. I'm surpried they topped J/A wedding life and death aftermath in HH viewers, there was a lot more advertising for tornado I guess. Now the question is can they prevent the drop back to 2.3-2.4 mil. The show usually can maintain a bump like this with 2.5-2.6 for 2 months.

Didn't somebody joke about the economy and job loss last week? But really, I'm not sure what is happening with DAYS, I don't see that big of a difference with Y&R number wise (they've had a good past 4-5 months), AMC got a big rise on the heels of heavy promotion and life and death - to be expected but what's happening with DAYS is another beast. Luck?

• Members

Maybe DOOL can take over the #3 spot in HH from GH?

They're not doing anything special in advertising or no big sweeps story

People might like this murder mystery( I do know who killed Trent, and if you watch DOOL you will be very freaking surprised.)

• Members

Don't worry, Guza will still be with a job and GH will rebound somehow. :rolleyes:

Can AMC maintain its momentum. I guess next week and the weeks after will tell. To go from ABC's lowest rated soap in total viewers (and barely beating GL there) to trumping GH in a week is huge, but such a momentum has the ability to level off quickly.

• Members

I'm not roped back into Days yet, but I figure the reason for its upsurge is the element of mystery and suspense - I don't know who killed Trent, I don't know whether EJ will marry Nicole or Sami, I don't know if Kate will live (it seems implausible that they would kill her off to me, but lung cancer doesn't have a high recovery rate). Watching the show day to day, the boredom should make one not care either way about any of these outcomes, but the mere fact of not knowing seems to be addictive enough to get people tuning back to see the revelation. Nevermind the fact that DOOL has lacked suspense since Langan took over in 1999 - most soaps lack that today. I won't say kudos to Higley and co. just yet because if they milk it past its sell by date, people will tune out again.

• Members

Well all I will say on AMC is that I am loving it. I am glad for the rise and that is all that matters. They brought me back to the show I loved and thank God to Charles Pratt for that. Now if the others could do something to make me come back too. I will move on and not get into any arguments about it again. It is not worth it.

As the rise for some in the ratings, I predict some of the daytime viewing will come back up around here. Last week out Charter company moved SoapNet to another tier on our cable and the Satellite company did too. The reason being that they gave was that licensing fees for SoapNet went up so they have to charge more for it. So a lot of people have lost SoapNet around here as they refuse to pay more for it. They also moved the Game Show Network with it. It costs 15 more dollars per month to get 4 more channels with SoapNet and GSN are part of now. They both have always been level 1 basic cable but not any longer.

I am hearing more and more people here say that they have had to go back to watching their soaps during the day. some of these are people who could watch during the day but chose to watch something else and watch their soaps on SoapNet at night. There are others who say they are having to tape or DVR their shows now during the day which will make the DVR ratings for first run broadcast change.

If it weren't for my "boyfriend" living with me, I would be without SoapNet for the first time in ages, but I got him hooked on GH and he can't miss it. So he shelled out the extra 15 bucks to get it. He can only watch it at night.

Archived