October 20-24, 2008

Toups

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Arguably, this is new to me, but how are AMC and ATWT above GH in the HH numbers? GH does come in at 2.1, but AMC and ATWT are 2.0 not 2.1. GH should still be in 3rd place. Could someone please explain this math to me (and I'm a theological major, not a math major, so explain numbers to me like I'm 5).

The girls numbers are depressing. My 10 year old daughter watches GH with me and that show's the bottom of the heap for girls - and we're Canadian, so my viewing habits don't effect these number in the least. She actually loves Spinelli and enjoys Maxie and Lulu.

• Members

What does HH stand for?

And thank you for this there was a post here explaining the trends re: ratings in soaps and I accidently deleted it from my network

and I've been looking all over here trying to find it again....but it sums up pretty much what your referring to here. I don't know if it was in GH or one of the other soaps, but it was a very good post that explained it very well.

I still don't get it because if they are losing audience, it doesn't hit the demo groups? It doesn't reflect on their #s?

Also, which set of #s really tell the tale? Should I look at the Total Viewers where I see they are losing audience.

What should I be looking at? I confuswed... :huh:

I did read somewhere ....( I think it was here I read it a long time ago)...once GH was scheduled for cancellation Leslie Charleson's Monica storyline literally singlehandedly saved the day and got them off the chopping block, went from near 0 the bottom of the barrel... to #1 literally overnight with the Rick/Jeff Alan (not sure which one I forgot) deal which helped to define triangles as we know them today

don't know if this is true just what I read....But I look at how they treated Alan and her now and can only shake my head in disgust...if true, it wouldn't even be a show yet they treat her with such disrespect. Its why I have a hard time watching GH the total lack of respect for their rich history and total disregard of fans with such shabby plot point writing (in their pimping method of storytelling)....hope this is the right term I just learned two new things so I'm trying one of them out to see how it flies :D Next up "exposition" writing ...Yes they have good eppys now and again but for me the writing is not all there...emmy or no emmy.. The only thing that keeps me in it is my favorite actors...I can't take the repetitve dialog how many times do characters have to say the same thing wasting airtime..

• Members

Mulder you and I are agreeing entirely too much these days!! Actually I'm not watching OLTL any more and probably will never watch it again because I don't trust it, but I agree on the co-writer, if not an outright demotion. OLTL will probably piggy-back on AMC next week and go up.

Now, on my own post. Way to go AMC. I hope that something post-tornado keeps people interested. I watch that show and it reminds me of my apartment complex. There are African-Americans, there are lesbians, there are older people. It's just so, well diverse. ABCD must not recognize it any longer. :lol: :lol: Y&R continues on the yo-yo.

I've enjoyed seeing Laura back on GH, but I just like Laura. I really do think GH is suffering from a poor lead-in show. It's the Palin effect, OLTL has become a drag on the ticket. :lol: :lol:

• Members

The HH numbers are still the most important to Advertisers with the HH Demos for 18-49 being #1 to Advertisers and TPTB with 18-34 last. Most advertisers don't even want to see the Girls 17 and under demos unless it is a product they are gearing totally toward that age group same with the other demos like Men or the age 50 and older demo.

The Viewers is an important number but the advertisers don't put as much stock in it as they do the HH number.

The HH number is a definite number with Nielsen. When they put those boxes in your house every time that TV is turned on or your VCR, your DVR, your game system, etc. - the box records it and sends the data to Nielsen. So advertisers know that that household is definitely tuned in. Those numbers are what measures the HH.

Now how Nielsen gets the Viewers number is more subjective.

This is how my Nielsen guy explained it to me. Say in my house when we were on there were 5 people living here with 4 TVs. They took a record of who might be watching each TV - for instance if the TV was in a bedroom they wrote down that 1 person usually watched that or if it was a master bedroom they registered 2 people.

When they looked at the records from our house and say only the TV in the den was on at that hour they registered it as 5 viewers even though all 5 of us may not have been watching.

If 2 TV's were turned on - one of the bedrooms and the den TV - then they would give 1 viewer to the bedroom and 4 viewers to the living room.

If 3 were on that hour - the den and 2 bedrooms - then they registered 3 watching the TV in teh living room and 1 for each bedroom.

If the TV was on in the Den and the one in the Kitchen at the same time - they gave 2.5 to each TV program.

They have developed a new box that I understand registers better as each viewer has to punch a button while they are watching. If they leave the room they have to punch the button, etc. Not every household has those yet - as I understand it. Plus I have heard from some households that many times they forget to punch the button that they are even in the room watching. Or forget if they leave or come back in, etc.

So the numbers although close on viewers are very subjective and not as accurate as the household numbers are. Even the HH numbers can be off too as I know many times I have finished a program, got up and gone to another room and come back 2 or 3 hours later and the TV is still on teh same station and no one has been watching - but when we were a Nielsen household things like that got counted as an HH recording for that program.

• Members

Thank you. The alphabetical thing I got, what I can't understand is why AMC and ATWT were given a 2.1 rating when the number for the day add up to a 2.0 for each of them But GH that did so much better day after day is still only 2.1. When I added the ratings per day and divided by 5, GH was 2.1 but the others were 2.0 as I said. Is there some other numbers they use, if not there is a mistake.

• Members

Ah, but that's just it. They are NOT featuring the same ol' same ol'. Amazingly. The All Sextet All the Time has been broken up, the characters better distributed into stories that better suit them. Plus they are not the WHOLE SHOW as they were. The stories are interesting, and character use is balanced. So hopefully... we can keep the numbers up and add some. Fingers crossed!

The trend is also interesting... AMC held steady all week long. Been awhile since I saw that, iirc. They went down just very slightly on Thursday (Babe's death!) and then back up again on Friday. AND they ended with some cliffhangers that made me want to tune in on Monday. So... we'll see how they do next week.

they do lose a big market TODAY in Philly... dang it all, I'm glad the Phillies won but AMC is preempted for a freaking parade! Got to watch on soapnet tonight.

• Members

Toups, I think we need a pin of this some where since the question keeps coming up all the time.

You cannot go by the daily numbers that are released to get the weekly average. Every day Nielsen does the ratings they fill it out to a 2 decimal figure (i.e. 2.26). When they release them they round up to say in that instance to a 2.3 or if it had been a 2.22 they would just say 2.2.

They do not use the rounded number to get the weekly total. They use the full numbers and then round it up. Nobody but Nielsen sees the full number - only the rounded number is released. So we cannot use those numbers that are released to get the weekly average.

• Members

I totally agree.

I have got to watch tonight too. I got too busy to watch today. Same happened to me yesterday and I forgot to set the dang VCR - so I totally missed Babe's funeral. My ex-wife called and said yesterday's show was one of the best in awhile. I am so mad I missed it.

It is weird that she and I watched AMC all our married life and talked about it. I learned to watch from my Dad and Mom and she learned to watch it from her grandmother who was such a big fan of the show that even some of the wreaths at her funeral were AMC related. We both quit watching the show in 2006 and now both have started back. She calls almost every day to talk about it now.

How anyone can say it is the same old same old is beyond me. When I can get into a story that involves Kendall and Zach and actually care about what happens to Kendall then something has changed. A year ago or even a few months ago if Kendall flat lined I would be sitting there yelling let her die or someone pull the plug. But I am not doing that. That tells me alone that something has changed.

Archived