KNOTS LANDING

• Members

I get that killing Frank's wife was done for story purpose (the "If you're gonna do something, do it RIGHT! SCENE with Julie alone almost makes it worth it imho) but I know it was done with the sole purpose of making Julie and frank possible murder suspect in yet another tale of Gary and Valene face yet another whackjob who ends up dying. After that story beat I dont remmeber frank having a storyline (except dating Hallee Berry for two episodes) and Julie was left to linger even though there was a nice story that could have built with her dating Mack's foster kid.

I dont even remember how they explained Frank's exit.

I know Olivia left because Tonya Crowe had little interest in behind the scenes politics and never really pushed for more storylines as opposed to her other castmembers and I dont fault her for that. She was however tragically overlooked once Abby left but I always liked her with Harold even if they were kind of on the boring side at times.

But she had so many connections still on the show and the writers should have explored them.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think Frank just left town quietly. I can't remember. They had no plans to write him out, but the actor was dying of AIDS.

The main reason they got rid of Lynne Moody was her complaining about the show dropping the story they had planned for Pat and Gary.

I did like the story with Julie and Jason. I thought dropping it was a mistake. If there was a weak spot in the show at that time it was everything with Claudia and Kate, and of course TIDAL ENERGY!!!

They made a mistake in making Olivia so self-righteous and whiny. She should have been a strong heroine or a bitch.

• Members

I read that David Jacobs was inspired by Ingmar Bergman's movie/mini-series Scenes from a Marriage. I do think the first several seasons especially the first five or six really drove that point home. I think the Latham's changed the structure of the series.. in some ways for the better and in other ways for the worst (i.e. diluting the 3-d character structure for Abby, Karen, and especially Val... and writing off Laura who could never be pigeonholed).

• Members

Am I the only one who never really cared for Mack very much? I prefer Sid to him any day of the week.

I really need to rewatch Knots. It's been way too long. I wish more seasons were available. Maybe one day Shout! can pick it up and release it. They do such a good job with shows that were abandoned.

It seems that most shows (sitcoms, soaps, etc.), which I'm noticing after years of rewatching, seem to hit their stride around Seasons 3-5.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Actually, SoapSuds (and allmc), I believe it is a little of both. Diana Fairgate was a very frustrating character, and all the heavy drama she was embroiled in was out of her portrayer, Claudia Lonow's, comfort zone. I mean, it says something that once Lonow left the show, she transitioned into a new and entirely different career as a stand-up performer and comedy writer.

• Members

Michael was the one I liked most. Pat Peterson grew up on the show, and Michael was just a good guy. Steve Shaw's Eric was also good, and it's a shame he passed away so young. Lonow's Diana was just a horribly written character. I, too wanted Karen to shake her and throw her down. Tonya Crowe's Olivia was a standout in that drug storyline, and although she was portrayed as a brat at times, she was a great child actress who grew up well in the role. I especially loved her scenes with Val. Brian Austin Green was a decent Brian, but they should have utilized him more as he grew older. I don't remember Bobby Jacoby's Brian much. I count Olivia and Brian as Fairgates, because their father the Cunningham guy [Jeff] wasn't around enough to raise them.