KNOTS LANDING

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

According to an interview with, I think, Knots Landing Online, Pleshette's wife (and David Jacobs' ex-wife) had represented the Lechowicks as their agent until Lynn and Bernie suddenly decided to sever ties and go with another literary agency, claiming they wanted a better deal. Pleshette wrote for KL for awhile on a freelance basis after his departure, but he just couldn't (or wouldn't) agree with their way of telling stories.

• Members

I always had a soft spot for Richard, even though he was a weak, pathetic man. Even he realized it at the end. I think he had the most moving, understated exit of any character on KL.

KL was not a "realistic" show, per se, but the decision to allow Richard to return after Laura's death and show us that he had a happy, content life, while "good" and "nice" characters like Sid or Laura never had that chance, made the show true to life in a way most primetime soaps never were or are.

• Members

I think in the same interview, he said that he and Constance had a prickly relationship in the beginning, mostly because she'd lobbied for her husband Sam Weisman for the Richard role. Eventually he and Constance developed a good working relationship, but it took some time. He called Constance and Julie Harris the best actors on the show.

• Members

Richard/John Pleshette were amazing. I just don't know how Richard would have fit in with the new Knots Landing of season 5. But John Pleshette is an amazing actor/writer and I could never hate Richard as horribly as he treated Laura. And the Karen/Richard friendship in spite of how Richard treated Laura pissed me off too at times but I get it. It's like, the two liberal educated Jews on the block (and the characters weren't, but the actors were) gravitated toward each other. Richard was an amazing character. And it wasn't always in the writing, because I should've hated that emotionally abusive dick. It was in the episode "Night" written by John Pleshette, and it was in John Pleshette's performance, and it was in John Pleshette's chemistry with Constance and Michele.

• Members

Well said.

The relationship between Richard and Karen always interested me too. I thought it was very believable and a good example of Karen's double standards, as she was furious when Laura had a business relationship with Gary and Abby a few years later. If I remember correctly, Laura threw that double standard right in her smug face.