AMC: Will Pratt Make It Better or at least Watchable?

• Members

I'm not even watching and even I feel like Pratt has more respect for this show, the characters and their histories the McTavish and B&E combined ever had. While that doesn't mean I trust him completely, he'll earn it with me if he pulls off one of the storyline's that's spoiled...I don't feel the same sense of constant "Oh god, what's next?" dread, that I did with the previous to head writers.

I know that as much as it makes me want to spit nails about how the whole Josh thing ended, it was Pratt's way of trying to right that wrong, and for that I believe he's earned the right to at least be given a chance.

Thee might be hope that you guys can get AMC back, the real AMC. The AMC I once loved and raced home everyday to see. :) I'll never watch again, but having it back on top, that would make all of this sting a bit less.

Here's hoping!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm thinking that Frons, who was prepared to give Alden the HW spot, hired B&E at the last minute when it turned out he didn't like Alden's bible. He probably approached them, they pitched some of the Crash stuff, and that's that. They had no long-term plan for the show, that much is obvious. They fizzled after four weeks and began pulling stuff out of their behinds as they went along. I think ABC/Frons realized this, and that's when the trouble began. Bibel started working at the show about six-eight weeks before the strike happened. She reported that ABC was really unhappy with the way B&E were going with things. I think if the strike hadn't had happened, B&E would have been fired a while before. I think they were given adequate chance to make a name for themself at the show, but they failed early on and ABC withdrew their confidence quickly.

• Members

I still wanna hear what Alden's bible *was*--I've heard it was bad, but that's about it...

But I think that's prob pretty much how B&E got hired. Add to that Frons seemed to liek them in the past and they had a raport with JHC and they were a quick "fix".

How long did Bibel work there anyway?

I still think B&E had some good story *ideas*--including Richie and Annie's family/backstory (also when it looekd like it would be a story of who was crazy), Frankie in teh woods, Angie and jessie being introduced, etc. The strike prob didn't help things. but yeah--there really was no planning--nor was there really a proper transition period liek there seemed to be for Pratt where you could see some of his ideas slowly coming in before his name was on screen. (I still kinda wonder how much of the last few months of McTavish's run were her either--even for McT they felt random and odd)

• Members

I've explained it way to many times. And honestly, all I ever get called when I do explain it is a bad AMC fan, or what have you. So we'll leave it at it being my choice, and call it a day. :)

Nice to see we're still on the "if you don't watch, you can't post" thing here. Thought maybe we were past that. Guess not.

• Members

I don't think you're a bad fan at all--you obviously loved the show and find it too hurtful to watch it now. But I do find it a bit strange how you follow the show but without watching it--not wrong--heaven knows I watch soaps weirdly and you can do what you want--but yeah personally I don't quite get it ;) I think you migth put some "uber fans" off because you repeat so often the fact you won't ever watch it again even if Agnes Nixon (presumably) returned--we all know already ;)

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression though--you can post all you want! I post in tons of threadsw for shows I don't watch. I guess people have bugged you about it in the past--I was unaware of that

• Administrator

B&E didn't pitch "Crash" - it was Megan's idea. B&E tweaked some things though.

Yeah, I think that's why they went Fi-Core, to try and save their jobs. They would've been fired way before May 2008 if the stirke didn't happen.

Eric, you should know where to look for that info. ;)

• Members

Oh I know, I think it's been discussed here before, actually. That's why I said they pitched "some of it." I know Megan came up with the concept, but I'm sure B&E had some of their own ideas that they incorporated. I think it's funny though how they took credit for all of it in the press -- "The movie Crash inspired us! It was the umbrella story this show just needed after coming off a bad period!"

• Members

Rain or GladGirl or one of the insiders here talked about this sometime over the summer. It's not exactly surprising to me, actually. I'm sure Megan had it all planned out when she decided to bring back Greenlee.

It's actually interesting to note that the actual "crash" happened a few episodes before B&E's work officially began.

• Members

I've missed your explanations and I'm terribly curious. Not because I want to judge but because I SO get it. I'm pretty much there with OLTL. Although I have a pretty specific set of circumstances that would make me consider watching again or at least YouTube it.

I really hope all this Pratt hype calms down. We've seen what happens when a writer is proclaimed the second coming with this much fanfare. Plus he still works for Frons and I maintain he is the real problem.

• Members

I really hope all this Pratt hype calms down. We've seen what happens when a writer is proclaimed the second coming with this much fanfare.

==========================================================

ROFL he isn't the second coming. :) But he is a very good writer. I always liked him. He seems like a good fit for AMC so far. We will see how well he is after awhile. :)

Archived