Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From being de-aged, to finding a long lost half-sister that didn't fit with her established backstory, to the relationship with Geraldine, it felt like Nicole became a different character during her relationship with Miles.  The thing with Geraldine is hard to explain, but early Nicole was mature, whereas the Nicole that worked for Geraldine at the TV station felt in need of mentoring and advice.  Maeve's Nicole was more like a contemporary of Nancy and Geraldine in terms of status and power, whereas Jayne's felt less evolved; more similar to April or Chris Egan.

I remember reading one of the novelizations, and they characterized early Nicole as a bit of a spoiled princess, dependent on her father's wealth, who grew into a more liberated woman through her romance with Adam and their adventures in bringing the mob to justice.  As far as I recall, none of those early qualities, nor the cool sophistication that Maeve brought to most of her characters, were present in the character as portrayed by Jayne.

I didn't dislike Jayne, and her Nicole was around for most of the period that I watched the show every day after school, but it always stuck with me after reading Soap World and the novelizations that she was more like a version of Nicole's younger sister than being the original Nicole as portrayed by Maeve.

Edited by j swift

• Members

That's a beautiful description of the difference between the two. The de-aging was jarring, and saying that she went from being a contemporary of Nancy to being a contemporary of April sums it up so well.

Maeve has a small but significant role in SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION, where she and her husband are friends of Stockard Channing and Donald Sutherland, all of them taken in by the Will Smith character. That character is Maeve's Nicole grown a little older, with all the favorable aspects of being a sophisticated New Yorker.

• Members

Finally digging into Mansion of the Damned in time for Halloween. I've made attempts before, going all the way back to the days of WOST, but gotten sidetracked each time.

Ann Williams is as great as I remember her being in material from SFT and Loving; somehow I'd forgotten she played Margo Dorn though I've seen many eps from this period in the distant past. I love her as an actress and I was stupidly going to say I think it's a shame she never got a permanent perch at another soap in the late '80s and '90s and forward, but then I remembered she died soon after Loving. What a huge loss to the genre, and rarely remembered today.

I really can't be bothered with either Draper or April atm, and I remember I used to like April more than this. Frances Fisher is still so good. Kim Hunter, of course, is Kim Hunter.

It is weird seeing Joel Crothers as Miles in a mature role for the younger couple with what should be the equally mature Nicole, but instead it's the NuNicole - as others have mentioned, the age shift was so severe. I've never seen Maeve McGuire with Crothers but I imagine they would be great together. It's so tragic about Joel, who I grew up watching on Dark Shadows in syndication on the Sci-Fi Channel long before I realized he grew into such a sexy daddy.

Ann Flood remains luminous. I always liked her.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I didn't realize Farley Granger did this arc. It's interesting seeing him acquit himself very well here and on ATWT years after Erika Slezak and co. said he quit OLTL because he couldn't handle the daytime grind. (There was another scandalous rumor about Granger and OLTL years ago but I have no reason to doubt Slezak)

I remembered the dramatic recitation Nola did at the party for the film, but not Granger being a part of it. (I think Nola does a few more staged performances in this story, but I honestly can't remember? I may be conflating this) I definitely didn't remember NuNicole's very creepy vision? sighting? of a red-garbed howling figure in the night on the balcony. That's spooky as hell.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I'm wondering cutting La McGuire off because her version of Nicole as Stated was really different from the DeAged version who was better as Nicole, Jayne Bentzen or Lisa Sloan???? I wonder if Lisa was bad so they (oh yes no spoilers

Please register in order to view this content

)