Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Eliot was on The Edge of Night beyond the cult storyline. He arrived in the fall of 1978 with the cult. He then moved onto romances with Raven, Margo, and Nola. Kelly arrived in May 1980. Kelly then took a job working with his puppets at Eliot's club The Unicorn. Eliot pursued Nicole's sister Jody and propositioned her sexually a few times, much to Kelly's ire. Eliot was murdered in October 1980 and Kelly was the main suspect in the murder.

• Members

Catherine Bruno just nailed that character and was so sad to see her go. The single episode where Nora gets it is one of the best post-Clown Puppet era. And Nora's speech in front of the camera. I'll never forget watching the video - I jumped out of my chair when it happened.  

• Members

Jeanne Ruskin, best known to soap fans as Laurie Karr Dallas is in the news over plans to redevelop the Inwood NY neighborhood where she lives.

Jeanne Ruskin, 71, an actor and teacher who first came to Inwood when she was 10 to visit relatives from Europe and has lived in the area for 37 years, said: "The people who have been displaced from all these other neighbourhoods end up here because we still have affordable housing available.

businesstimes.com.sg/real-estate/manhattans-last-affordable-neighbourhood-under-siege

• Members

from today's Vintage Soap Recap Tumblr:

THE EDGE OF NIGHT: Week of March 1 - March 5, 1982

(4:00pm - 30 minutes - ABC)
Libby Webster, the Black Widow, questioned Valerie about Sky.  Valerie was alarmed that a photo blowup of the Whitney Theater included the image of “dead” Sky.  Smiley devised a “scenario” for Raven’s benefit to prove that Gavin was innocent of Gunther and Sky’s deaths.  As part of the plan, Johnny was sent to the Caribbean to seduce Raven while Jinx was to arrive on the scene as a fake jealous, gun-wielding wife.  Jody learned that her mother, Billie Mae, was arriving.  Smiley boasted to Hector that he was making the grade with Sid, who was loaded with insurance coverage.

I never knew Jody had a mother that appeared on-screen.  I wonder if she was related to Nicole on her father's side?  We know from the later storylines that Jody's father and brother died fighting mob crimes but, I don't recall anything about her mother.  Now, I'm waiting for these recaps just like when they were first published...

• Members

As I recall, Jody's mother was named Billie Lorraine. However, when she eventually appeared in 1982 as part of the Eden storyline, the character was named Leonie Travis. The role was played by Delphi Harrington. I have no recollection of Jody ever having a brother. Jody and Nicole shared the same father, Ben Travis. From what I've read on the Edge homepage, Ben was murdered by a mobster named Morlock in 1974. The story synopses don't mention anything about Ben fighting mob crimes. Rather, he was sprung from prison by the mob so that he could sabotage his son-in-law Adam's political career. He seemed to be working as a pawn of the mob until his death.

• Members

We've discussed The Republic of Eden as a low point, but a review of the conning of Raven to get her out of town when real-Sky returns is very clumsy. 

EON had a history of short term mysteries, but there was usually an interesting transition between stories.  Margo's murder thru to the Clown Puppet Murders is a great example of two short term arcs that allowed for long term characters to be involved in the throughline between the stories.  Also, as evidence of the entertainment value of EON at the time, the mysteries were a background for romance.  However, this misguided effort to keep the theater open is just oddly violent and unnecessary.  Gavin and Jody are involved in the periphery, and there is a lot of attempts to justify why they are being so mean to Raven; who had done little to justify her punishment.    By comparison, Raven's kidnapping near the end of the series, during the actress's maternity leave, was so much more artful. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

According to the recap Billie Mae was smothered!

THE EDGE OF NIGHT: Week of March 22 - March 26, 1982

(4:00pm - 30 minutes - ABC)
Posing as Johnny’s jealous lover, Jinx faked death when the gun went off during a struggle with Raven.  Smiley detained Buffy, who came home early.  Raven called Cliff to her defense after being “jailed” for killing Jinx.  Spence reminded Libby that Sky is their ticket to the Whitney fortune.  Jody got a good look at Joe, who smothered Billie Mae.  Sky had a “spell” outside Valerie’s apartment while Valerie reminisced about her love for him.  Jinx had fainting spells.

Since Nicole is Jody's half-sister, maybe Leonie was her step mother?  But that doesn't make sense because didn't Nicole's father play a role in the show as a crocked politician when it was still on CBS?  Although I always thought of Jody as a ward of Nicole, like Robin and Batman, or Monica Quatermaine and Gail Baldwin?  I know new characters on EON didn't always get much exposition to explain their origin (eg Kelly), but Jody's relative status is still in question for me.

Edited by j swift

• Members

That recap isn't accurate. I definitely remember Jody referring to her mother as Billie Lorraine, not Billie Mae. The Edge website confirms that in a synopsis for July 1980: 

Jody revealed to Nicole that they're half sisters, since Nicole's father Ben Travis had an affair with Jody's mom Billie Lorraine. 

When it was time for the mother's appearance in 1982, she was now known as Leonie Travis.  And Leonie was definitely Jody's mom, not her stepmother. I'm not sure why the name changed and why the mother was using the surname Travis as she and Ben weren't married.

The Edge website has these tidbits in its synopses for March 1982:

Jody received word that her mother Leonie Travis is seriously ill.

Jody went to Springfield to visit with Leonie, who was smothered to death by thug Joe Bulmer.