Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have been in the hospital for a few weeks due to pneumonia, flu, and, and a heart attack.

Since returning home, I have learned that three performers from The Edge of Night have passed away:  Ann Wedgeworth (Angie Talbot), Bruce Gray (Wyatt, I think), and Earle Hyman (Neil Davenport and balliff).

• Members

Thank you. Slick and Amy!   I am much better.   I had had no warnings that I was that sick - especially with the flu/pneumonia.  I am home (or, more precisely) at the home of a relative.   I will be returning to my regular life pretty soon, and am grateful for friends such as you, my doctors and the other healthcare professionals, and to God for allowing me to return.

• Members

Bruce Gray's Daytime and Nighttime Soap Roles

EON   Owen Madison
AMC...  Wyatt Coles
High Hopes...   Neal Chapman
Somerset...   Warren Parker
LIAMST...Aaron Keith
Generations...   Philip Webb
GH   George Blythe
Young and the Restless...  Mark Wilcox
Strange Paradise   Tim Stanton
B&B..   Judge Morrison
Passions   Judge J.E. Reilley
Santa Barbara...Dr. Winter
                             ...Dr. Glass
Melrose Place    Tom
                         Mr. Fielding's Doctor
Falcon Crest...   Andrew Price
Dynasty...   Liam Farley
Dallas   David Stanley
              ???   86
              Richard Mertz
              Dr. Alan Cosby
Knot's Landing    TJ Escott
                Attorney
                 Senator Riker
Emerald Point, NAS   Admiral Goddard
Beverly Hills, 90210   Reed Harvey
                            Bob Gordon
                            Craig Ramming
Picket Fences    Mr. Fenn
Sisters           Wesley Picard
The Colbys    David Soames
For Love and Honor     Major Nordoff
Flamingo Road     Eudora's doctor

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Slick, the New York Times obituary for Earle Hyman mentioned that he, as did many actors who love the stage, took roles on television in order to augment income.  It specified police shows and soap operas (plural).   That made me wonder about other soap opera roles in addition to The Edge of Night.

Could you list any roles that you know he played?

• Members

Daytime roles ...

Edge of Night....   Dr. Neil Davenport

..... Sid the Bailiff

As The World Turns...   Lionel Dalton

Love of Life...  Dr. Paul Bryson

Search For Tomorrow...   Victor Thembi

All My Children...   Mr. Patterson

Edited by slick jones

• Members

Oh, I really appreciate your promptness.   One comment:  are you sure that Neil Davenport was a doctor?   His character's job was as (I thought) the campaign manager for Colin Whitney.    He could have had a PhD and, thus, was a doctor - but I don't seem to remember that.

• Members

I apologize if all of my questions are real estate related but I was struggling to remember Geraldine's living situation.  I remember that she lived in a hotel suite at The Monticello Arms with a reception area and double doors leading to her bedroom from when Raven reappeared for Draper's trial through when she shot Logan.  However, Sky lived in the Whitney Mansion almost from the time he first got to town.  So, was the Whitney Mansion where Geraldine lived with her husband and 2 sons?  Did she move once her kids died?  Did anyone else live in the mansion between Geraldine and Sky's time there?  In the later years didn't she sometimes seem to live with Sky and Raven, like when she dated Preacher's dad? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I do not remember exactly when Geraldine moved from the Whitney mansion.   However, she did live there when her first husband (Gordon) was living, the son Colin was running for Gordon's old Senate seat, and son Keith was presumed to be deceased.   She also lived there after returning from Washington with the widowed Tiffany and when Tiffany married Noel Douglas.   (Noel pushed Geraldine down the stairs which caused her to be in a coma-like state in the hospital.)  I suspect that she departed that house at the time she married her second husband, Anthony Saxon.

Now, I have a question about the show.    Actor (soap hopper) Conard Fowlkes played the brother of Nancy Pinkerton on the show originally.   (He was Johnny Paul Anderson, and she was Beth Moon Anderson Barnes).    Or was Johnny Paul the first husband of Beth?

Anyway, Mr. Fowlkes returned to the show later playing Steve Prentiss, first husband of Liz Hillyer.  He left the show abruptly, presumably to appear on ABC's A Flame in the Wind.  The character of Steve was said to have deserted Liz, while his sister and brother-in-law, Ruth and Ernie Tuttle, remained on the show (and Ernie was later revealed to have been the jealous murderer of Harry Constable).

I think that rather than having Steve written off and having him desert Liz that it would have been better if the show had recast Steve for a while.   If they wanted Liz and Steve apart, they could have then killed off the character of Steve.

I don't know exactly who was writing the show at the time (and I am under the impression that, for a while, Mr. Shofield and Mr. Slesar were collaborating on the scripts), but Mr. Slesar had a habbit of breaking up popular characters.   Steve and Liz (who were popular with me) may have been the first victims.

I would welcome comments on this subject!

Edited by danfling

• Members

Saw the last month's of 1984...and I think Sheldon wrote some great episodes....not anything like slesar..but the show was pretty good still.

I would have loved to have seen the Alice in wonderland inspired mystery that kicked off the final episode...since I l9ve me some Alice in wonderland....and would have been interested to see how Mike's daughter Laurie would have adjusted to not being held captive 8n a hospital.

• Members

It is hard to say whether I enjoyed Sheldon's writing at the end or if I enjoyed Raven and Sky so much that I didn't notice the change in writing.  However, it seems to me that the Raven/Sky relationship shifted by 1984.  When they were investigating Nora's murder Raven and Sky were a team.  My favorite type of soap duo is a Thin Man/Nick & Nora type of couple who are written as equals.  Later in the series, perhaps to facilitate the actresses real pregnancy or it was a reflection of the writing, Raven became a damsel in distress that needed to be saved by Sky (Sky-prime not fake-Sky). 

Contrast that with my favorite period of the show when Raven left town for the first time before Margo's murder and Raven does seem different; if not more mature.  One of my all time best soap scenes is when Raven explains to April how she gave herself her nickname.  I love when Logan tells her that she incapable of love and she believes it so she gives up parenting Jamie.  I love her weird relationship with both Ansel and Draper that dripped of sexual undertones.  I love that she and the Chief Mallory have no-strings-attached sex and there are no consequences.  I also love that she is ambivalent about motherhood.  I think what sums my appreciation of that era is that it is so contemporary.  Unlike the Irma Phillips characters who were always shamed for their craven desires, Raven's punishment was much more internal.  Of course she lost her kid and some money along the way but it wasn't until Sky-prime that Raven believed that she was capable of being loved.

In both stories that writers needed to deal with Raven's temporary departure but the earlier one is done in a much more intriguing way; but I can't tell if that is writing or producing or just time.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lee Sheldon's EON run. But their were elements i liked. I liked a broke Sky & Raven investigating Nicole's awful murder via poisoned makeup. Which leads directly to the mind control plot. The mind control story wasn't the right story for EON. Yet it had a beginning,middle and ending. Preacher and Robbie fighting at the Video Disco as Sky stormed in through the window of the Isis building for his final battle with Louis Van Dine was fun. Other stories were a horrible messes. Spencer  Varney's return. The Native American land right story with Marty and his grandfather Standing Elk.  Logan Swift's return and murder mystery. Even through i did like the twist of Geraldine accidentally killing Logan. Who was like a son to her.  The murders going on in Jodie's college. Lee did introduced many interesting characters like Alicia Van Dine, Beth & Liz Corell, Chris Egan. Del Emerson,  Shelley Franklyn, Jeremy Rhodes  and Marty But none of these characters lived up to their potential. 

Edited by victoria foxton