Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From rewatching the Thanksgiving 1983 episode, I was surprised at how ahead it was in terms of subject matter, especially the discussion between Didi and Marty about Thanksgiving.  I know fans of the show didn't like Sheldon's version of Edge of Night.. but the show in 1983 was so ahead of its time in regards to story (This was after the mind control/George Orwell esque story had concluded and before the Native American land deed mystery started).

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

This truly is my favorite minute in soap history and since it hasn't evoked much response in the Best Soap Scenes thread, I thought that I would re-post here.

It starts at around the 17-minute mark - After another fight with Logan, Raven has decided to leave Jamey with April while she returns to England to be with her mother. 

I rewatch this scene for many reasons:

(a)The underscore that evolves into the theme gives me chills

(b)The layers of Raven trying to be callus so April will keep Jamey away from Logan

(c) the sick undertone that Raven is leaving to go seduce her mother's husband in England, who is also Draper's father

(d)the idea that the whole story is told in one episode but it sets up issues for the custody hearing that won't happen for another year 

(e)that she messes up the line a bit but they keep this long take which makes it seem more like theater

(f) the fact that a writer finally capitulated that the name Raven is odd and needed to be explained

(g)Raven leaving the show isn't even the cliffhanger of the episode

Edited by j swift

• Members

@j swift You're so right. I've always loved that scene. And what an exit: "so free with beautiful black wings," then out the door. Outstanding camera work keeping focus on SG during the whole speech until she grabs purse on her way out. 

In many ways, SG's Raven was written like a man - strong, sexual, scotch drinker, aggressive, determined, etc.  You'd think 40 years later, soaps would be filled with women like that.