Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Members

IIRC, Henry Slesar remarked once how no one had interfered with how he actually wrote the show until it switched networks. Ironically, though, P&G fired Slesar while ABC wanted to keep him (hence, his stint as HW at OLTL).

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Probably not. EDGE's only real problem on ABC was the affiliate clearances or lack thereof. According to the EON Homepage, I think, because EON aired in a late afternoon/early evening slot, many affiliates either aired it in different time slots (usually late nights) or not at all. But where it DID air in the regular slot (4/3 pm, I think?) it often performed quite well.

Again, according to EON Homepage, ABC was actually quite reluctant to cancel EDGE but they weren't willing to assume production costs in order to keep it on the air. P&G, OTOH, wanted to cancel the show for the simple reason that continuing to produce it was costing the company too much money.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Part of the problem was some of TPTB at ABC, and maybe a few of the younger people at P&G, wanted Edge to have some of the same "on the run" or younger stories that GH had, in order to hold on to some of GH's audience.

The big hole in that way of thinking was many markets didn't air Edge directly after GH at 4:00. I know in our West Michigan market, it was aired at 10:30 on a one-day delay.