Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Members

your left shoulder three times, cross yourself three times and cross the ground three times." By that time, you may decide you didn't really want to go any place anyway and go back where you came from.

"Sometimes I hesitate to talk of the occult," Maeve confessed, "because it makes me sound like a nut. But the truth is that most people believe in it to some degree. Do you know anyone who has no superstitions at all? Or who hasn't felt a brush with the supernatural at some point in his life? Or who hasn't debated the theory of reincarnation? Or who doesn't think of astrological readings and forecasts as more than just fun?" She had me there.

"I do believe in the occult sciences," she continued, "but with it all, I think I'm a pretty practical person." Pretty practical - and extremely interesting, I'd say, for Maeve can converse on any number of subjects. An avid reader, she doesn't confine her library to books on the supernatural. The shelves that line her walls bulge with tomes on numerous topics. And between segments of "Gumbo Ya-Ya," Maeve is perusing Mary, Queen of Scots, Zorba, The Greek, and Body Language.

"I love to read," she said, handing one of her many volumes with loving care. "I enjoy just being around books. If I weren't working at acting, I'd like to be employed in a book shop - just selling there would be nice."

It might be nice but we doubt that the talented Miss McGuire's future lies in selling books. She has worked too long and too hard at acting to abandon it now - especially since she's reaping such ripe fruits from her labors. Two years ago, she created the role of Nicole Travis on The Edge Of Night and since then, she has become one of daytime drama's most popular actresses. With each passing month she gains in popularity. When she took a few weeks vacation this past October (her first since she started on the serial), there was a roar of protest from viewers who feared she was deserting the show.

Maeve may be a relative newcomer to daytime TV but she started acting on local radio in her hometown, Cleveland, at the age of eight. Her mother, an amateur actress, and her father (now deceased), an executive in the lumber business and president of the Cleveland branch of the American Automobile Association, were actively working members of the Cleveland Playhouse so both parents encouraged Maeve in her theatrical efforts. However, even they had reservations when she settled in New York, after her graduation from Sarah Lawrence College, determined to pursue a career in acting.

But Maeve had no reservations. She knew she'd eventually land a job because she had no time limit. She decided to break into show business even if it took a lifetime. Luckily, it only took a couple of years. In the interim, she alternated between modeling jobs and part-time office work.

In 1961, she became a resident actress in summer stock at Boothbay, Maine. She was so successful, she worked there two more seasons (in 1962 and 1965). In 1963, she played Hippolytus in Phaedra for the New York Stage Company and the same year started a two-season run at the Nantucket Theatre Festival. Too tall for ingenue roles (Maeve is 5' 8 1/2'' without shoes), she did a variety of young characters and leading women. She went on to appear as Candace in Cyrano de Bergerac with the Lincoln Repertory Company and followed that with a role in their production of The Miser.

She made her TV debut in a series of Shakespeare plays presented by the Actors Company on educational television. And for a time, she danced in an off-off Broadway revue at New York's famous La Mama Cafe. She's had small roles in a couple of films: For The Love of Ivy and The End Of The Road.

Two years ago, she missed out on a featured part on the daytime drama, Hidden Faces, and that proved to be a blessing in disguise because just a few weeks later she landed the role of Nicole Travis on The Edge Of Night. Since then, Hidden Faces has gone off the air and had she been on it, she might be unemployed at the moment - instead of so busy with TV chores that she has little time for outside activity.

Maeve is working diligently on other project at the moment. She's in the process of giving up smoking. But, she's ashamed to admit, she's been "in the process" for months now.

"I've dwindled from two packs a day to ten cigarettes," she said sheepishly as she produced one from a group she had carefully stored in a wad of facial tissue. "But I just can't seem to take the final step - and quit cold. Hypnosis seems to be a fairly common way to break the habit. At least, I've heard about many people on whom it's worked, like Fran Sharon (Cookie on The Edge Of Night). Of course, when I talk about it - with my interest in the occult - it begins to sound like black magic. Actually, I'm anti-black magic - white magic is better."

She differentiated for me. "White magic is constructive and black magic is destructive."

Had she ever stuck pins in a voodoo doll I wanted to know. She debated whether or not to answer my question, then she didn't. But she did confide: "Black magic is a very personal thing. It's better not to discuss it. I wouldn't want to divulge formulas that do more harm instead of good.

"You see," she laughed gayly, "if I were a witch - and I'm not, but I believe in witches and I think it would be great fun to be one - I'd want to be a good witch - like Billie Burke in The Wizard Of Oz.

"I'm so lucky to have a real fireplace in New York," Maeve commented. "I've often debated moving into a luxury apartment but I'm so comfortable here - even if it is small (just one room, kitchen and bath) and a three-flight walk-up. It's quiet and all my neighbors are so friendly. One of them visited the other night and I took out the ouija board. It was very exciting. We made contact with my great-grandmother who communicated with me in German. I don't speak German but luckily my friend does and she translated for me.

"We could take out the ouija board now," she suggested. "Would you like to try it?" Not as adventuresome as Maeve, I decided to let well enough alone and take my leave. But I promised to return one day and next time maybe she'll break down and tell me all about that voodoo doll. Let's see now; you take a snip of hair, a bit of fingernail, some pins...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's for sure! Funny how April Digest is printing December photos! What a different world! BTW -- What I wouldn't give to see episodes from 1977-1979 - Sharon Gabet's first two years on Edge. It's too bad the ones that are out there start a few weeks before she left (and, of course, came back), but I'd love to see how she evolved during that period.

• Members

Hello everybody! I'm thrilled, beyond words, to be able to tell you that I wrote and heard from Bruce Martin -- (Keith Whitney/Jonah Lockwood 1970-71). He is, truly, gratified to know how much he is fondly remembered 40 years after his time on the show. I told him that I had mentioned his storyline as one of the highlights of the show in my chapter 'Memories of The Edge of Night' in the book 'Survival of Soap Opera: Transformations for a New Media Era,' published by the Universiy of Mississippi Press, Dec 2010 (hardcover edition); March 2012 (paperback edition).

He also told me that he was selected to play a role on NBC-TV's 'Somerset,' following his stint on 'Edge,' but, sadly, it fell through, because he would AGAIN be playing the son of Lois Kibbee. The role eventually was played by Christopher Pennock.

He also told me that the Bruce Martin whose name we saw as 'Production Supervisor' on SFT and other shows was ANOTHER Bruce Martin. The two, eventually met, with the latter saying that he could not 'stop forwarding fan mail directed to 'our' Bruce.

• Members

Mr. Martin is very open to hear from fans, but as per his request, which I perfectly understand and respect, he will not address any questions about his post-Edge personal life.

I can understand this from another perspective. Being a presidential historian, I have, over the years, been fortunate enough to make contact with some presidential children (who are now deceased), and I certainly understand their need for privacy.

I can tell you that the late Francis Grover Cleveland (1903-1995) was not only a fan of Edge, but a good friend of Maeve McGuire and her husband. He met her through Alice Hirson (Stephanie Martin) who was a friend of his daughter Marion.

• Members

Wonderful news to pass along to all of you! I have just received my complimentary paperback copy of the book 'Survival of Soap Opera: Transformations for a New Media Era,' published by the University of Mississippi Press. My chapter, the third chapter in the book, is entitled 'Memories of The Edge of Night.'

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I became hooked on EON during the Jefferson Brown S/L and thought it was a great show. Looking back now at older episodes prior to LM's arrival, I realize that the show suffered with the loss of three key male characters: Eliot, Logan and Draper.Losing those actors in such a relatively short period of time, really hurt the show. Still think Eliot was best pairing for Raven - love their back and forth - whether a co-conspirators, lovers or "fre-enemies". They always lit up the screen.

• Members

Eliot could have stayed around for years, causing trouble. I wonder why they wrote him out.

They lost a lot of people within a year or so, also including April, Deborah, and Steve. I honestly just love Deborah and Steve. I'm not sure how I will feel about the show when they're gone.