Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Did the ratings go up any during the Mansion of the Damned story? Kim Hunter's performance is so riveting to watch. I wish it had gone on longer.

Were they ever considering keeping Bill Marceau on in another capacity? There's a very random line when Derek shows up about how Marceau might be running for mayor. Surely that wouldn't have been thrown in if Mandel Kramer was never coming back?

• Members

Was she right to protest? Yes, if only because making Brandy crazy was a cheap way out of an impossible situation. On the other hand, I don't blame Erwin Nicholson for seizing an opportunity just to have Brandy leave Monticello for good. I wasn't alive to see the triangle, but going on what I've read about it, it seemed to me one of those can't-win stories where no matter who Adam ended up with, a large amount of the audience was going to be unhappy.

• Members

I wonder if they already had an idea that they were firing Donald May, and Maeve Maguire was leaving (I've never been sure if that was her choice).

Since Adam was killed off not even a year after Brandy left, and Nicole was put into a very different story and character group, I wish they'd kept Brandy and done something with her. What about going forward with Brandy/Draper? I can also imagine her giving Raven a righteous slap.

• Members

Dixie's comments are not quite accurate. Brandy never went crazy. Dixie jumped to that conclusion and was incorrect.

Neither Maeve McGuire nor Don May ever wanted Adam and Nicole to marry. They enjoyed the sparring and the bumpy road to matrimony. In fact, Maeve left the show in 1974 in part because she felt that Nicole's marriage to Adam (August 1973) left the character with nothing but wedded bliss and no place to go.

Brandy was created to effectively replace Nicole, and Don May enjoyed "the chase" of having a new character to pursue.

When Nicole returned in December 1975, Nicole's life was in danger. She was the target of numerous murder attempts, including a near hit and run by a car that matched Brandy's. The assassination attempts were played as a mystery, thus it was made to appear to the audience that Brandy might have gone bonkers and was attempting to eliminate her rival. However, that was later revealed to be a red herring only. Dixie panicked and basically screwed herself out of a job.

As for Don May, yes, the producers knew that Adam was being killed off. I think they let Dixie go because she was no longer necessary as part of the triangle, and Henry Slesar wanted Draper tied to Nicole's new love interest. Also, Tony Craig and Dixie Carter had zero chemistry. That match never would have worked.

Maeve McGuire left Edge of her own accord when her contract expired. Her departure went back to the same issue as before: she was bored with Nicole and felt that there was nothing else she could bring to the character. A 12 month pregnancy had been written for Nicole, a difficult pregnancy in which she was confined to a bed for nearly nine months. McGuire found that to be a very depressing and exhausting experience, and she wanted out.

• Members

Thanks for the extra details. I guess it worked out anyway, since it doesn't sound like there were any story roads left for Brandy.

I didn't realize Nicole spent nine months in bed. What a waste - did they just not know what to do with Nicole once they brought her back? Even when they recast with a younger actress, they seemed to struggle for story.

I was wondering if you could tell me if you know whether they were ever planning on bringing Bill Marceau back in another capacity, like mayor?

• Members

I remember a friend and I watching that together in college. It was the first time we ever saw a soap end before and we were fascinated. I am glad the aol videos are out there and now being streamed on YT but I wish just a little later will eventually make its way. I don't need to see Preacher and Del again, but I would love to see again the back to back murders of Nora and Nicole again.