Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's just superior writing and a lot better than the cartoonish women literally every other soap writer concocts that are so dynamic and attractive to men of all ages despite being old or whatever. This is a lot more compelling a character that HIV positive Robin Scorpio on GH who manages to land the handsomest, most brillliant and successful doctor on staff despite being not all that attractive and altitudinally challenged. Or Nurse Liz Webber, who despite being single with 400 kids in tow, manages to find man who after who loves her and think she is a real catch. And because he allowed this woman and Nola to be realistically flawed and imperfect, it makes the crime stories to come a lot more believable and interesting.

• Members

Thanks so much for the interview. It's great. What an incredible writer he is. Watching the episodes on Youtube I'm so impressed, over and over, by just how good they are on every level.

I wonder why they didn't just recast Timmy and keep him around in the background.

I think they were wrong about Lois Kibbee. I think she was on Edge first as Geraldine, then the story ended, Slesar put her on Somerset, and then after her Somerset story ended they brought Geraldine back.

• Members

Yes,Lois was on Edge before Somerset.Somewhere the wires got crossed.I agree re Timmy.Just have him away at school or camp then recast.It's not like that had never been done before.

With such a high turnover of characters,i wonder why they didn't make better use of history and bring back former characters or their children eg Judy Marceau,Cookie Pollack etc

They did that with Jody and Kelly.

• Members

I wonder why they wrote Laurie out for so long, although I guess the show didn't really suffer her absence.

Watching the mid-1979 episodes, I'm impressed by what a nice presence Mandel Kramer is. He's more than a competent actor, he doesn't seem in any way doddery or weak, as some of the older P&G vets did when they were phased out, he works very well with Steve and Calvin and Deborah, and he's a handsome enough man for his age. I know he probably had a fairly high salary compared to a lot of the others but I wish they'd kept him on in some capacity, perhaps as mayor or something.

• Members

It's always shocking to me how they got away with Raven's bad parenting, from leaving her baby alone for hours to go see a movie, to leaving the baby with a drunk sitter. I'm not sure if she was ever really "punished" for it either. In some of the 1979 episodes she's a little too dumb but by 1980 she's reaching her best - it's especially refreshing that she has these relationships with so many men at once.

I'm surprised they had Logan and April fall into a romance so quickly.

I guess this is when Jody was still supposed to be a bad girl.

• Members

In the Slesar article,it is stated that Slesar returned when the headwriter passed away.Lou Scofield was the writer at the time,but he didn't die until 72.Was it just an factual error,or are they referring to another writer?

Did Scofield leave Edge to create WTHI?

Also,regarding Edge writers,does anyone know why Irving Vendig left the show he created and wrote for almost a decade? He went on to create NBC's answer to Edge,Hidden Faces.

• 2 weeks later...