Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks!! But we have to thank to TEAL AMES the one who has these 2 episodes and to the person who upload the episodes in youtube!!! Without their generosity, we couldn't enjoy these wonderul moments of EON!!!! So THANK YOU, TEAL AMES!!!!!!!!!!! We,the fans, love you!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

John Larkin looks like a cartoon come to life! Those granite features and sharp contours of his face.

He died young (only 52) in 1965 .After leaving EON he had some primetime success before his death.The TV Radio Mirror seemed to report a lot on daytime and treat it seriously.

• Members

Sorry about the pages being bent on the edges.

TV Radio Mirror did quite a bit on soaps in the 50's. It tapered off in the 60's, sadly, as soap material from that time is rare. They started up again in the 70's.

Larkin is the true square-jawed type. He probably wouldn't have been cast on daytime in later years but he probably helped Edge stand out from everything else.

That's very nice. At first I thought that was Michael Corbett, not Charles Grant!

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

they mean he doesn't scream or feel they really know me. Men as well as women watch the show, stop me to talk about it. Kids yell at me in the street, "Hi, Mike!" It's great. It boosts the morale."

The mail reflects this cross-section of interest from all types of viewers. A woman on the West Coast wrote a letter with sch a sound, analytical approach to the show itself - and to John as an actor - that he has been corresponding with her ever since, always interested in her reactions. "It's wonderful mail, most of it. Literate. Sincere. Nice letters from nice people."

The official John Larkin Fan Club, begun by fifteen-year-old high-school student, Carol Yarvel, is growing mightily. IT amuses and flatters John, to whom this kind of teen-age adulation is somewhat new. "All nice, cute girls," he said. "They come to the studio to see the show and me, want to have little celebrations for special occasions, like on my birthday in April. I have always felt a birthday was rather a private day, to be celebrated at home with my wife, and it embarrasses me to have a big fuss made over it. But I guess it's different when you have such devoted fans. " He sighed, grinned, and seemed ready to give in without too much of a fight.

The Edge of Night has some fascinating side-plots, all women into the central story of Mike Karr, expert in crime detection and criminal law, and his romantic marriage to Sara. Viewers get quite unhappy, however, whenever the main theme of Mike's and Sara's lives together is overlooked for too long by any side issues. Sara' s eagerness to help Mike, the way they are trying to build a good marriage, to grope their way through the misunderstandings that beset a young couple - this seems to be what their fans want, along with the absorbing story of Karr's stubborn battling for justice and for decent government.

From the beginning of the program, on April 2, 1956, John and Teal Ames have made an exciting T V team. Teal, as Sara, credits John with helping her enormously during the first few months as she was tackling her first big TV dramatic role. "He encouraged me constantly," she says. "He would signal to me, sometimes only by the merest change of expression, that I was doing fine. It kept up my morale," John says. "Teal has always been good to work with, serious about everything, a solid performer. The same goes for Don Hastings, who plays Jack Lane, Sara's brother, and has been in the cast from the beginning. And Peggy Allenby, who plays Mrs. Lane, is wonderful. It's a fine cast, right down the line."

The Larkins - meaning John and his pretty wife Audrey - occupy a 120-year-old house in Greenwich Village, where Edgar Allan Poe was rumored to have lived at one time. The old fireplaces were once used for cooking, and John has used the one in the kitchen for broiling steaks or chops and baking potatoes. "Not much now," he said. "I have a great chef in my house, and her name is Audrey. Since she has taken over, I don't try to compete. She turns out the most wonderful specialties - things with fancy names, but good, hearty eating. The only recipes she refuses to try are Chinese. We both like Chinese food, and she says it's the only way now to make me take her out to dinner."

Larkin is a man who likes his home, who likes a quiet spot where he can do what he wants when he wants, where he can lounge and read, play the radio or some of his great jazz recordings, and the classics, too. Where he can tune in television early or late, whenever he has time. Where he can stretch out in the big chaise lounge in the upstairs bedroom and study his script for a while, with Audrey to cue him.

Into his busy week, he crowds not only frequent workouts at a gym, but regular singing lessons - a fact he has kept quiet about until now. Back in school, he had thought seriously of becoming a professional singer, until he went into radio and announcing and from there into acting. Now he has picked up the voice lessons, perhaps with the idea that some day he may do a musical play. Back in his early acting career, he had considerable stage experience, although not in singing roles. Audrey is a singer and actress, says her husband's knowledge of music has helped her, thinks he is an excellent critic.

John likes golf, and Audrey would like to play it with him, but he refuses to teach her, insists she have lessons form a pro. "It's like trying to teach a wife how to drive the car - she always learns faster, with no arguments, from someone else."

John's great interest, of course, is in his work. He finds the characters in the show enormously exciting. "I like a plot with drive and dynamism. The more dynamic the script, the more I enjoy playing it.

"We not only have this great cast, but we have a first-class crew, I think the best live TV crew in the East. All of them are men of integrity about their work. They fight to get the best possible shots and to put the best possible show on the air.

"There is a good relationship between all of us involved with the show. I like the kind of part I play. Mike Karr is the kind of man who works as hard to prevent crime as to apprehend criminals. He has strong ideas about juvenile delinquency, about rehabilitation of the young offender. He is a man I can believe in."

Apparently the viewers can, too. More than ever they have been stopping him, wherever he goes, to tell him so.