Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Members

I wanted to share some happy news with you...I am being given a very special gift...two episodes of Edge on DVD...the first one is, amazingly enough, the show's second episode -- April 3, 1956...and the second one is the one in which Sarah Lane Karr was tragically killed in February 1961. I should them in a couple of days, I am told.

Yesterday, I received the most beautiful letter from Maeve McGuire...who when she signed it, also wrote 'aka Nicole Travis Stewart Drake.' I know I have been in ill health, but I must have died and gone to 'Monticello heaven' this month...because the month keeps on getting better for me, and we've only past the first week mark.

Maeve loved being on Edge...loved it when the show was done 'LIVE,' and said that 'it was never a dull moment' being on the show.

There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of her and the show...If ever there was a show that deserved a comeback, in either daytime or primetime, it's Edge...truly 'one of a kind.'

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's wonderful news -- not about your health, but about Maeve being kind enough to send you a note. Obviously the cast respects how much you love the show.

Those two episodes must be very rare, aren't they? Congratulations on getting them. I'm sure they'll be a thrill to watch.

• Members

Dear CarlD2,

I have been told my 'benefactor' that he/she is the only one to have these kineoscopes (a friend transferred them to DVD). I have heard so many stories about Sarah Lane Karr's dramatic exit...and to think that I will actually have a copy of it is thrilling beyond words.

Maeve was delighted to hear about the book I participated in (Sam Ford's book) and the American Popular Culture Association Annual Conference in St. Louis this year. It did my heart proud to have my co-presenters (many of them esteemed college professors) come up to me and reminisce about Edge and telling me how special the show was...

I told Maeve that I am presently suing for medical malpractice for my continuing medical woes, but I told her that even though I have confidence in my attorneys...I would much prefer to have Adam Drake handling my case. She agreed with most heartily!

Edited by edgeofnight

• Members

I can imagine how great that episode with Sara must be. I wonder if the one where Teal Ames came oncamera briefly to assure the fans she was fine is also out there.

Edge was such a unique show and a show that still had so much potential. Anyone with any sense would revive it, and instead we get flop revivals of shows that were already long gone by the end anyway (90210, Melrose).

I wish the best for you with what you're going through.

• Members

I just received the April 3, 1956 episode of Edge (the second episode) along with the February 1961 episode in which Sarah Lane Karr dies...Wow! Is all I have to say.

In the first show, Don Hastings, Mark Rydell and Teal Ames appear. I may end up making a copy and give it to Don Hastings at next week's Paley Center Tribute to ATWT.

The second episode is so well done...it features Walter Greaza, John Larkin and Teal Ames...unbelievable raw emotion...powerful...it's no wonder the switchboards lit up when Sarah died.

I believe it...what a powerful episode.

• Members

I'm so glad you got to see them. Imagine how this must have felt to viewers at the time, especially since you knew no one was going to come back from the dead a year later.

That would be very nice of you to give a copy to Don Hastings, I'm sure he'd love it.

• Members

I wonder how many Edge episodes are really out there. It's unique premise might have made it more worthy of salvation in P&G and CBS's eyes, so who know. Maybe this is a mistake, but whenever someone posts opening/closing titles of a soap on YouTube, I assume the full episode exists, so based just on that, there should be some good video quality eps from 1958, 1966, and 1972 (in addition to episodes that are clipped on YT already).

Episodes from several of the other 50s/60s soaps are on various public domain sites, but none for Edge. I wonder why.

• Members

A great many more than you have been led to believe. Master tapes were wiped, and yes, Edge aired live; however, kinescopes were produced for affiliates. Remember too, many soaps aired in foreign markets. As early as 1970, Love of Life, Where the Heart Is, Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, and The Secret Storm transmitted in Australia. Return to Peyton Place had a full run in Melbourne from 1974 to 1976, after it had left the air in America. As the World Turns aired in Australia in 1974. All of those episodes were not erased and remain in existence. I have some. Other collectors have them. They are there. Do not let anyone tell you they are not.

• Members

I never even thought about international broadcasts being saved...wow. After years and years of obsessing over periods that have been almost universally declared gone forever, it kinda gets me excited to think of how much is really out there.

I guess the next step would be for these production companies to realize that we'll take them any way we could possibly get them. DVDs, streaming online, or (gasp) on television. It's just ridiculous that decades of great television is in limbo. Guys like you are our only hope, and it's much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...