Dear Oprah, Please Crush McCain

DaytimeFan

• Members

I don't like to be too political...but seriously, Oprah, if you're listening...PLEASE do whatever you can to crush McCain. Oprah, you're a billionaire, you can lose your credibility, it doesn't matter anymore. It's time to give up being impartial (if you ever have been dear sweet O) and just wallop John McCain and Sarah Palin. Then, you need to promote the sh*t out of Obama and Biden. Am I scared? Yes Oprah, yes I am! Use your power Oprah, do it for America! Do it for the WORLD!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with Casey regarding the fact that Oprah's strong pro Obama support could alienate her audience.

Also, believe it or not, I recently read a newspaper article reporting on a study done by a couple of economics professors. Using their own metrics, they were able to ascertain that Oprah swung over a million votes to Obama during the primaries. Given the fact that Obama's vicotry over Clinton was razor thin, I think it can be said that Oprah is responsible for Obama becoming the Democratic Presidential Nominee.

• Members

I think oprah has been smart by staying out of the spotlight. Obama doesn't need her right now imo anyway. Her role was earlier in the campaign and it served a huge purpose but its up to obama now. The study you are talking about was hugely criticized, yes oprah helped obama get some votes but he had to seal the deal not oprah.

• Members

Oh she has already done that.

I commend her for her policy of not trying to be hypocritical when she said that this would be the first time that she would not allow any other candidate to appear on her show, but in so doing that she alienated any of her fans who were for other candidates. She didn't mean Republican candidates when she said it but even Hillary Clinton and all.

She felt that since she endorsed Obama that having anyone else on her show and giving them a forum during the election would be hypocritical. I guess she felt that any of her fans who supported Hillary or any of the other candidates were expendable.

Politics is an area just like religion that you don't mess around with. People can be very critical and unforgiving in both arenas. This will definitely affect things for her with some people forever.

• Members

Oprah has more money than she can ever spend and her show needs to end eventually so I doubt she needs to fret over losing people. Her whole persona is being herself and if she believed so strongly in pushing Obama for president that she came out and took a stand then, whether or not people agree with her, good for her. Life is too short to spend worrying about those things.

If she has viewers that can't respect the fact that she has a differing opinion or doesn't support the candidate they want and they can't get beyond that then it's on them. It's not going to break her and it's wonderful that she stayed true to herself.

I don't care who any celebrities endorse since that's their personal choice. The problem for me would occur if they started raving against the candidates they don't like instead of simply stating their opposition. Or if they use their shows as a base for pushing a political agenda.

• Members

I agree to a certain extent, but when you are in the public eye there are certain bridges you cannot burn.

There is going to come a time when the election is not going on. In the past Oprah has been able to lure political folks and so forth to her shows for interviews. In politics people's memories are long. Many may have the opinion well this talk show wanted me when I was running for President but you didn't. So guess what I will give my exclusive interview to this show.

She even cut off Democratic candidates and didn't open her show to them either.

I have no problem with a person having a choice of a candidate. That is their right, but when a person is in the public eye with their business or their show they cannot make choices unless they want to say well a portion of the audience is not important to me.

Politics and religion are 2 very tough topics and touchy topics for people. They don't tend to forget things with both.

• Members

IA that those are tough topics but I think Oprah will do just fine. She's got her own little brand of spirituality that probably puts some people off but I think how her viewers react depends on what they are seeking. Her show lost any appeal it may have had for me years ago and even then I only watched for specific guests.

No matter what I think of Oprah now, I still admire her accomplishments. She's definitely one of those people who've come a long way and nothing is ever going to change that.

Archived