Carolyn Hinsey Fired!

• Members

I think she was much much too close to the brass at certain shows and networks: Frons, Frankie for example. I think that she was more interested in doing what they wanted her to do than actually doing legitimate journalism. There really is no reason why soap rags can't be less rags and more reporters on the industry.

It always bothered me that her publication seemed to be the faucet for all of ABC's nasty little leaks. For instance, all the stuff about REG and TSJ during their contract talks: you know the asking for the stars and the moon stuff, all seemed to show up in SOW. Then she wrote the column defending decisions to dump Dan G. with the observation that losing him was far better than losing Michael Easton. She also wrote that it was time for actors like Phil Carey to retire.

In my opinion, she was a bag man for ABC, using her voice against those who ABC wanted trashed. In return, of course, she was always invited to the big events, got to interview Michael Easton during his Garbo days and always had a stable of soap stars at her Blondie's event.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's something horrifying: I agree with Jess. She was in ABC's pocket. Her screed about how we should trust in the networks and not complain about vets being abused or dumped last year was outrageous.

• Members

Well... Although I detest her, especially because of those recent GH comments, I agree on this one.

Who the hell cares about vets? I couldn't care less as long as the story involving whatever characters is good.

I detest this vets dictatorship (mindset).

End.

• Members

If Playgirl can turn into an all-online publication, certainly the soap rags will eventually too! :) Unless the magazines are still banking on the lil' ol' ladies at the supermarket who want to catch up on their stories and don't know how to use a computer :)

• Members

So, I come over here like you want & you're flying off the irony meter? Come on, we have to care about the characters! And, what characters do we have the most invested in emotionally, historically and, yes, in terms, of possible good stories?

However, I digress. She was in no particular network's pocket. She was in no particular show's pocket. She had favorites & biases, as is being mentioned by soap fans all over.

- DonnaB, shallotpeel, ... somehow feeling naked from being unprepared in the signature mode

• Members

Hinsey was lucky to be employed for this long and I'm sure that she will land on her feet. I'll never forget the column with Hinsey's anti-vet rant which was directed at Phil Carey (Asa, OLTL). She stooped so low in her defense of ABC for firing Phil Carey that she implied that he had been served on the set for physically assaulted his wife. Even if true, what did it have to do with him being fired? She smeared him to support ABC. Disgusting. If I had been her employer, she would have been fired on the spot for being low and nasty.

• Members

If you keep on 35 and 70 year old shows, some of your viewers will have been with you that long. In that case, for the show to remain the show, you have to also keep some of the vets.

Y&R does this best.

If you stop trying to create such endless sagas, but give these shows defined life spans (not 13 week telenovelas, but like successful primetime shows, 5 or 7 years), with planned endings (known to the creators from the beginning), the "dictatorship" stops.

QUOTE (Donna B @ Aug 7 2008, 08:35 PM)
So, I come over here like you want & you're flying off the irony meter? Come on, we have to care about the characters! And, what characters do we have the most invested in emotionally, historically and, yes, in terms, of possible good stories?

However, I digress. She was in no particular network's pocket. She was in no particular show's pocket. She had favorites & biases, as is being mentioned by soap fans all over.

- DonnaB, shallotpeel, ... somehow feeling naked from being unprepared in the signature mode

My Donna!!! (Well, not MY Donna...but what a delight to see you in these parts!)

Folks, this is the "famous" DonnaB from Usenet and other parts. You see her comments on Tom Casiello's blog all the time. Hi Donna!

Archived