Carolyn Hinsey Fired!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hinsey's always been tough for me to get a handle on.

She gave a voice to fans, speaking outright against a lot of the cr@p that invades our TV screens, long before any one else did (and while the other magazines were kissing ass). And she has a true love for the genre (albeit one station more than the others) that no one can deny her. I feel she did a lot right with both magazines.

However, she definitely took SOW to a trashier, more tabloid-ish place. And she's the one responsible for putting prime time shows on the cover, something that infuriates me to this day. And her legendary temper and bias towards/against certain actors and actresses were NOT exaggerated in the slightest. She's a fan, a journalist, a st@r-f#&ker, a grudge-holder, completely inconsistent and could be incredibly mean-spirited, and somebody whose presence will probably, weirdly so, be missed when she's gone.

I've never known how to feel about her, because I constantly find myself defending her when she's attacked, and then attacking her myself when she opens her big mouth and says something ridiculous.

• Members

Here's what I think: Misleading covers smell of desperation.

The perfect storm of falling soap ratings/interest, rising printing/transportation costs, reduced advertiser revenue in a bad market, magazine sales declines industry-wide...has likely led to SOW making less and less money every single year. Growing internet scoopage (aided by the slow snail mail delivery issues for SOW/SOD many of us have been discussing) doesn't help either.

I think Hinsey could be the most lovely person any one of us ever met, and she still might have met this fate. Her magazine is dying...so when you seek re-invention, you lob off the top.

I suspect the market will soon go down to fewer magazines. However, will they COMBINE SOW and SOD? Or will they avoid brand confusion and just stick with the stronger of the two? (Which, I am guessing, is SOD). Of course, SOD will absorb whatever SOW workers it wants to, but probably not too many...we're dealing with shrinking economies of scale now.

My guess is that they just automatically switch SOW subscribers to SOD, in the hopes of winning them over, and the industry gets smaller.

Archived