SOD Feature: Nine Recasts who Proved to be Miscasts!

• Members

Lane is popular in CBS message boards but on Sony boards they have a Lane lovers and haters threads in there, and the haters thread is growing every single day than the lovers thread so Lane is not popular in Sony pictures community

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

wasnt there like, 2 years, between Clark's 1990 exit and Middendorf's appearance as Carrie? From what I've seen, she wasnt horrible, just not given time to grow in the role. Her later work has shown how talented she is.

• Members

I agree Christina Chambers was miscast as Marty. Then again the writing was awful during that period too. It was like they had forgotten a lot of things that had happened to Todd and Marty after the rape.

Jennifer along with Laura Wright were definitely miscast in role of Carly. They do not act anything like Carly, like a totally different character.

• Members

Unfortunately when a role is recast, you can't help but compare them to their predecessor. Many times the recast is good. But sometimes the replacement just doesn't work (DAYS' Charity Rahmer immediately comes to mind).

In the case of OLTL's Tina, I didn't think anyone could replace Andrea Evans, but Karen Witter was a damn good recast (well IMO at least). When Krista Tesreau replaced Karen Witter, I had high hopes b/c I remembered KT as GL's Mindy Lewis. But KT was miscast (isn't that why KT was let go?) Personally I give all recasts a chance because I know it can't be easy for them (I'm one of the few who liked AMC's Sabine Singh's NuGreenlee). But recasts have a heavy burden to bear. It ain't fair but that's how it is.

• Members

The writing was truly ghastly for CC. I also think they would have been better off just to bring her on as an entirely new character. It's not like they capitalized on Marty's history or the relationships she had with the other characters in Llanview up until she was arrested and needed a guardian for Cole.

• Members

I really wish I could have seen Elaine Princi as Dorian, I hate to base my opinions on other people's. It's not fair. But I have read that she sort of "emulated" Robin Strasser, which may have been her doing or tptb's suggestion, who knows. I would like to see for myself. I have very vague memories of her visiting Adam on All My Children, and I certainly remember Adam threatening Natalie by calling up The Intruder and asking to speak with Dorian Lord. I remember Princi mostly from her pictures appearing in soap magazines and those Psychic Friends Hotline infomercials.

Oh, and Claire Malis, I'd love to see her too.

• Members

Isn't she the actress who portrayed Donna Love on AW? If so, Donna and Dorian were very similar characters and as I recall EP portrayed Dorian the same way. It was like Donna moved to Llanview and changed her name. It wasn't that she was bad, she just seemed like an imitation. It would have been a very hard transition to make IMO.

• Members

You're thinking of Anna Stuart who played Donna on AW. Perhaps she was similar to Elaine Princi. I do remember EP appearing as a judge on AW during its last year however, and AS pinch-hitting for Linda Dano as Rae on OLTL.

• Members

As for Lesli Kay as Lois, I thought the casting was AMAZING, and I had great love for Rena Sofer in the role. I think it was a perfect amount of time to wait after such a popular actress left the role, and all the players were in place to make the character mesh back into Port Charles successfully (meddlesome Tracy, exasperated Dillon, very single Ned, plenty of in-fighting Qs, freshly-returned Justus, ex-best pal Sonny, the resurgence of L&B Music). The mistake was that Lois was brought back and NOT played with Ned after a very short time. She was played as a love interest for Lorenzo Alcazar. This totally went against the very nature of Lois, who always seemed to have her head on her shoulders about men and love. Lois was close with Sonny before he was anywhere near a "big time" mob boss, and was a great source of support to Brenda in detaching herself from the increasingly "connected" Sonny and transitioning to Jax. Also, the very popularity of Lois was the romance with Ned. Lois originally detached from Ned because Ned's family was toxic for her and their baby! So for Lois to blindly fall in with emotionally-scarred criminal Lorenzo (while hypocritically warning daughter Brooke Lynn against dating bad boy Diego) just left a bad taste. Lois was not played with Ned and Wally Kurth was dropped to recurring status during this period, which not only left viewers with little hope for the Lois/Ned happy ending, but coupled with Lesli Kay's pregnancy and maternity leave, it also left Brooke Lynn without her parents and pretty much left her with no future on the show either, where Brooke Lynn was widely accepted on GH, from what I recall. It had the recipe for great success, but didn't pan out because of HORRIBLE writing choices.

• Members

So? What's funny about that?

:rolleyes: You don't scare me. Christel Khalil is a major audience pleaser, and TPTB know that, which is why she gets so much air time.

The fact that you refuse to tell me this insider information you supposedly have speaks volumes.

Exactly. She was practically THE main character on H&A the entire time she was there. She could be equally popular on Y&R if the writers gave her the time of day.

• Members

I think partly no one is going to forgive her for replacing Leon (even though IMO she was another Ashley Bashioum - dreary, depressing, always frowning), and party they're not writing for Colleen.

Tammin has the chops, she was great on Home and Away. She gave great performances during her character's rape, and during the Sarah Lewis story. She could be great on Y&R if given half a chance.

Archived