Higley Quit DAYS?

• Members

i dont think its casting news i dont think there is anyone left that is big shocking casting news except Elieen Davidson and Louise Sorell but i doubt they are returning at this point...as for JER returning maybe they are still paying him and passions is over...or it could be that Ken Corday sold his show....but the yr connection has me scared that you know who will be leaving...

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IA. I thought Dena was doing a relatively good job with Days. And given her years on the writing team over there, she knew the Days history. However, I was waiting for the other show to drop the whole time!

I get that people are upset and worried about the direction of their show -- especially with Ken Corday running things -- but the calls to pull the plug on Days? WOW. The show is so much better than it was two years ago. SO much more coherent. The acting and production has soared leaps and bounds under Ed Scott (and I hope he doesn't leave for Days' sake -- even though I adored his imprint on Y&R).

And was Sheri Anderson really so bad? :lol: Really?

• Members

I could not agree more. That was my thing with Dena. She really came in and just started to kind of play chess with the characters. No longer did you have the teens, the early 20's, the late 20's, the 30's and the older, and the vets. You had Chelsea with a man that Victor brought to town to help Bo who was much older than her; Morgan and Philip started to devolp more; The chloe/lucas unexpected twist; Caroline was invovled in her childerns story again; etc...

However the down side of that with me was that it was obvious DH didnt know what to do. She didnt have a plan. I have to wonder if KC just fired HS and told DH shes the HW. IDK how it played out, just what i assume via the no real storylines. But again that didnt bother me because after eyars and years of horrid storylines Days needs to be repaired soemwhat. Sami became complex again; characters had layers and depth again; people were mixing it up. But as i said i know that even though i was happy a lot of fans were not (and IMHO, alot of that did come from the fact that DH was writing. Im not saying everyone or even all of the hate the show got was only due to that but i do think a percent was...)

As for the future of Days. I agree with you that calling it to get the ax is ... well i wont be mean but i dont agree at all. The thing is Days is in horrd horrid need of an amazing talented HW who can tell an amazing story that gets people to tune in. Someone LIKE jer, but NOT jer. The story needs to be real and not turn out to be fake. It needs to have impact. It needs to shake this show to its core. ES isdoing great as an EP and if he left it would be a huge loss. But then again none of that matters because by now we KNOW what the issue is - Ken Corday.

Days is suffering from what all soaps are. Short term storytelling that have no impact whatsoever. its heres the story and then its over now move on even if the story is great 90% of the time there is no longterm impact. However where days suffers more than others is because the storylines are less than steller.

i have no idea whats to come. but i think one thing is for sure - its going to be insane.

• Members

I know we disagree alot and this is no exception, shocking huh?

i have found tht usually if he posts it as news its true. he does have alot of speculation and rumors in his articles but if he labels it as news it usualy comes true, IMHO. and also the fact that Toups said theyw ere waiting on confirmation implys to me that there is something...

• Members

I think most Days fans from the supercouple era love Sheri Anderson. I think most people would even agree that she set this show up for a MAJOR rise in the 1990's. She enginered the comeback, and Reilly executed it (IMO).

Sheri helped change this show from a family centric and socially motivated icon, into a couple's centric and adventure driven melodrama. I like her writing. For that sort of style (supercouples...), she is good. The only thing is, supercouples don't happen now. I don't think thats a bad thing either.

• Members

It was SAP-PY. I mean, a lot of soaps were back then. But there was a LOT of "You are my light, my love, my life" stuff. Granted, the sweeping stories made it work, and there were some GREAT highlights in there. I'm not saying it was all bad. But as I've said before, I think the nostalgia contingent has kinda jumbled up about a thousand episodes into "an amazing six months" in their memories, if that makes sense. When in reality, it was four years, and it wasn't always perfect.

• Members

I know there are those who think she is overrated, but I think Sheri Anderson could rejuvenate Days, and really shake things up again. A lot of the characters currently on the show were ones that she co-created. When Sheri came back in the middle of 1992, she didn't try to replicate her past 80s success. Compared to the writers that the show has had for the last 15 years, she was the best one at writing character driven stories. Here are some examples of her writing,

Here is a powerful scene between Stefano and Tony from 1985 sans the cheese,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dbivHjMEwSA

Isabella and her family finding out that she has pancreatic cancer in 1992,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mB0fXPR3Q-s

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fv4u0Ih0oKw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x7Oi8oXo6pY

Up to the 1:09 mark, this music video captures the essence of Sheri's 90s affair storyline showing Marlena being torn between two men she loves. Then the rest of the video shows how Reilly conlcuded the story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2-w8_G59AA

With Days current low ratings, what does Corday have left to lose by bringing Sheri back?

• Members

I think Sheri may have written for one of my favorite pairings of all time -- Carly & Lawrence - swoon! If that is the case, she gets a free pass from me. And Marlena torn between John and Roman was glorious soap.

Archived