Higley Quit DAYS?

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Personally, outside of re-writing of lines or minor inconsistencies with lines of dialogue, I see no difference should any of the above attempt to hold the writers hostage by dictating story/scene demands. That's not to say that the actor should have NO say whatsoever. Any good headwriter should know to include the actors into brainstorming future storyline, but the final say, for good or for evil, should be with the writer. Now if that writer's material happens to stink, it is up to the higher ups to fire them, not the actors to completely phase out the headwriter's vision.

• Members

As I said before, Nelson said there's a Y&R connection in this and the other west caost soap he was talking about is Y&R. If Dena and Scott didn't get along at DAYS, it's obvious that was the same situation with Maria and Josh, if Josh has been rewriting all of her material since the strike ended.

No agenda pushing there. ;)

• Members

I don't think that's "legal" either, from my admittedly limited knowledge. That's why people like Michael Easton and Trevor St. John never publicly admit that they have any input on the writing even though it is widely rumored that they adlib a lot and that they've rewritten scenes. (That and the urgent need to deflect, lol).

I guess it bears the question, does this mean these people changed story? How can that possibly be? Seriously, I can't even grasp the logistics. I've admitted I don't have a firm grip on the writing process, but this would imply that they not only wrote their own scripts, but actually disregarded the breakdowns? Am I right? If so, I think that would result in utter chaos for months into the future. Cleaning up the mess will require a hazmat crew.

• Members

Well, Brenda Dickson claimed that Ed gave Melody preferential treatment (and of course also that Lauralee Bell got such preferential treatment--a claim Terry Lester also made and that got him off the show).

So, there is evidence that Ed Scott has long pursued an agenda that is HIS.

I'm still not sure this makes him a villain. Gloria Monty also dictated story and held an iron grip...and some love her for that and others find her to be the Antichrist and ruiner of soaps for the same.

I'm guess Monty was a WGA member though...and if so...maybe that small little union due suddenly made it "alright"?

• Members

OK, never mind the preferential treatment. I just don't like Nikki. And nothing would make me more happy than to see her gone. :)

Gloria did. Which is why her conversation with Thom Racina in the restaurant is so interesting.

• Members

We agree, but two points:

- Eric Braeden has been doing more than just switching lines around FOREVER. He said in the early 80s, when he first came to the show, that he would throw away half his dialogue...act just with his face and body...and it was tolerated. So there really is a long history here...

- "...it us up to the higher ups to fire them...". But what if that doesn't happen? Should people in a position to improve things just SIT there? Legally, union-wise, yes. BUT WHEN IS MUTINY OKAY? Maybe when the ship is about to go down?

I'm a pragmatist, and can't always abide "lines of authority" and "rules", even though I'm usually a devout follower of them myself.

• Members

I just can't believe there is a MAB/JG problem. They co-wrote from 12/27/07 until her solo stint. That means the strike forced them to be comrades in arms.

Anyway, regardless, there is nothing illegal about JG interfering in Y&R writing...he's a WGA-FiCore, right?

You prove my point, which is your intention :). EPs have had a way to influence writing for a looooooooooooong time. I see nothing shocking or evil about this DOOL situation.

The ONLY thing here is that what we're seeing is clearly the flameout of an erupting HW/EP battle...where the writers finally "called the cops". And NONE of this would have happened if Ken Corday were a STRONG arbiter of things. Instead, he let this happen...which is further evidence of his ineffectual nature.

People blame KC for being interventionist...not letting writers do their craft...but I think this proves the opposite. He's coming across more like a trust fund baby, letting the middle managers do the work and duke it out.

• Members

hmm this is a doozy...

first of all im going to go on the theory that her material became so bla that they had to stop it because its obiouvse that mr. holidays corday didnt care about being the lowest rated show. i wonder if it wad DHall...it seemed the last time they tried to get rid of a head writer she was front and center remember the Tom L writer/ep?? im glad on the other hand that Scott is soo passionate that he is trying to improve the scrips now if he could only bring back vivian in there id love him lol...j/j

my question is this...if sony is going to sue ken cordy/nbc/days couldnt instead they just push ken corday out of power??? maybe this guy has the show insured and he just wants to get that insurance payday?

Archived