Higley Quit DAYS?

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Personally, it's not as if I don't like him because he does share opinions that I agree with (hello, Ellen Wheeler) and he does seem to think a bit outside the corporate drones of daytime (I said a little -- he was perfectly willing to go along with TIIC if they were good to him). But as a journalist, he not only is unprofessional, I would go as far as saying that he is almost a destructive force in daytime because of the unprofessioanl way he goes about his job.

• Members

I completely agree Dan. I don't know Nelson, so I don't have an opinion on him, but I have lost all respect for his journalistic integrity. I'll even go a step further. Nelson's primary motivation is to be controversial and stir things up. If everybody loves Carlivati he'll slam him. If a particular actress is really popular, he'll publicly trash her. He thrives on being the dissenting, controversial voice. He's like the worst of the worst message board fangurls (guys) but he has this forum to present his "posts" that gives him the appearance of being an authoritative voice and IMO he abuses it.

Ok. I took more than a step further. Perhaps a few furlongs.

• Members

I don't like Nelson because he uses his forum to trash actors that he simply doesn't like instead of criticizing the characters they play. If he has information about a show he's in his right to share that info. And if he has a problem with a character then he's within his right to say why . . . but to use his column to tear down actors and actresses is low class IMO.

I don't care for OLTL's Sarah Roberts, but Nelson crossed the line when he suggested Martha Madison replace Justis Bolding just b/c he doesn't think JB can act. He's also dissed Melissa Archer on several occasions. I have to wonder how TPTB at OLTL feel about Nelson.

• Members

I do not find Nelson the most credible source at all. I take his column for what it is which is rumors and fun. Although he crosses the line when he talks about actors like Justis Bolding who IMO is not that bad. I have seen far far worse then her. You have to take everything Nelson says with HUGE GRAINS OF SALT. Massive grains of salt must be taken when reading his column. The Higley stuff IMO should have been kept under the rader until something was credible there. He has never been much of a reliable source. If you are reading his column for just a fun romp chock full of speculation and rumors it is okay, if you are looking for a column with credible factual newsworthy soap events then his column is not the one you should be reading.

• Members

Is Head Writer Dena Higley out? No, but an explosive online report by TV guide Canada's soap columnist Nelson Branco (http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/Soaps/Suds) that DAYS's head scribe had quit had set off an Internet firestorm.

The original post, which appeared in Branco's 7/23 "Suds Report" cited a setside source who revealed that Higley walked after a blowup with Co-Executive Producer Edward Scott. (Executive Producer Ken Corday was in New York on business when the alleged battle occurred.) The post was removed a couple of days later, with Branco indicating there was more to the story than he originally knew. He then posted another item that said a source close to Higley indicated that Scott, not Higley, had been rewriting story and dialogue and encouraging actors to do the same, which would bring the WGA into the mix. Furthermore, the report said Scott was angling to get Jack Smith, who served as head writer of Y&R when Scott produced there, to pen the show.

The multiple posts caused a furor on the Web, with viewers weighing in about the backstage drama. One actor, who hadn't been to work or on the Internet, was taken aback when a fan asked about Higley's exit in a supermarket. "I had no idea what was going on." says the star. "I was shocked."

Though the show would officially comment, here's what Digest has learned: One, talk of tension between Scott and Higley was apparently not exaggerated, "It's not a good situation there." says an insider. "They haven't clicked from the start." Two, at press time, Higley was still writing the show. Three, most people at the set are in the dark. "Nobody really knows anything, but there are lot of meetings taking place," says the source.

This is just the latest chapter in DAYS's recent writer troubles. Higley was ousted in 2003 after the network reportedly muscled Corday into hiring back former Head Writer 9and PASSIONS creator) James E Reilly. Reilly lasted for three years, and was replaced by ATWT's four-time Emmy winning scribe, Hogan Sheffer, in 2006, Sheffer lasted nearly two years before he was replaced by Higley after the writers' strike ended earlier this year. But sources believe Higley isn't going anywhere right now. "Ken is behind her," says one. Another adds, "It's business as usual here. Nobody's really giving [the situation] too much attention.

Archived