Higley Quit DAYS?

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, I wasn't going to chime in on this. But f&@k it. I will.

I agree that the vendetta story became ridiculous by the end. HOWEVER, I will say, that while vets like JOhn/Marlena/Bo/Hope/Doug/Julie SUFFERED HORRIBLY through last summer (and there's no excuse for that) - I do think it was because the focus was on re-establishing the DiMeras as PEOPLE and not CARICATURES.

Please don't misunderstand me. If Mascolo was referring to the end of the vendetta story, and the whole pronouncement that EJ and Sami had to be married to "reunite" Santo and Colleen, I agree - that was dumb. But (and this is just my opinion) I do think the one thing HS did RIGHT was he restored a lot of integrity to the DiMera family that JER (SOrry, Toups) had completely desecrated. When I think back to the DiMera family dinner episode, Stefano believing he was dying, his showdown with Grandpa SHawn at the grave - I felt a HUMAN quality to Stefano I hadn't seen IN YEARS.

Maybe Mascolo LIKES being the omnipotent villain, which if that's the case, he has every right to not like Hogan. But I would think that, as an actor, one would relish the chance to show different aspects of your character. And if there's one thing the vendetta story did RIGHT (possibly the ONLY thing), it's that it humanized Stefano.

Something that was sorely needed.

AGain, just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

• Members

ANd this is one of those times I'm gonna THANK you for popping my balloon, Sylph. Because you're so right. And I can't believe I didn't realize this sooner. I should know better than to think they would welcome that as actors, when they've been playing the same one-note character for most of their careers, and made quite the living out of it.

Cynical though it may be, you are dead on right, my friend.

• Members

That is why i don't like him.

I will not say he is a bad actor in the vain of he cant act, but he is a bad actor in the way that he is lazy. and yes, imho, lazy actors are bad actors. i have said this a million times and i don't care how stupid it is to some - i would rather watch a not so good actor actually try and act and put some effort and passion into it than a good actor be a lazy one who just reads lines or falls into habit.

and i am aware that a lot of times this has to do with crap writing. and to a certain extent i can not only understand that but agree with it. however, still you are an actor - act!

• Members

And you're right.

Although I will argue that there are MOMENTS (like most lazy actors) where he does step up to the plate and delivers.

Which is not a GOOD thing at all - it just proves how lazy he is. Because apparently, he DOES have it in him to deliver nuance. He just chooses not to. WHich makes him even more infuriating.

THanks, Jack - you've really given me a lot to think about tonight, in terms of my earlier opinions re: actors.

• Members

there are without moments. Scenes. hell - sometimes even days or a week - where lazy actors who are good (because this goes way beyond JM) step it up and bring it. And by bring it i eman the way they should all the time, let alone those rare moments where they really step it up and bring it to that level. JM did that many times when he first returned. I noticed he does it a lot in scnes with Dee & Ali.

i just cant stand good actors being lazy. i just feel like they are not doing the job. they are lketting me, the fan, down. also when they are obvious not bringing it it does show ins cenes with co-stars. but as is aid there are exceptions.

take sarah brown - whom i dont think is even a good actress - she, when she first came back to gh was awful. you could see it in her eyes. hell, half the time she was trying not to roll her eyes (and no, imho, it wasnt 'in char') but i dont blame her because it was obvious she had no direction, no idea what was going on, and no iudea what to do. Once Guza came back and gave her direction she was able to find that groove.

hell, i will sue an actress i *love* - Alison Sweeney. No, shes no Susan Flannery or even Heather Tom - but she is, imho, a damn good actress and perfect as Sami Brady. But during that horrid V-word storyline you could see the 'wtf' look on her face. idk if thatw as lack of direction motivation or just because it was that bad - but it was obvious. And no it wasnt the first time. She seems liek an actress that NEEDS direction and needs to know whats going on and how to play what and where to take it (and no, i do not think that is a bad thing. Differnt styles of acting - thats all).

i always try to be fair when judging something. I try to look at it from all sides. I think thats why i like discussing things with people i dont tend to agree with like Tishy, Ryan, Jen, Roman (i hoenstly dont think we have ever agreed upon anything. lol) and posters who just post an amazing amount of information and insight like MarkH, Sylph and Y&RWorldTurner. And you...

• Members

ANd I will TOTALLY agree with you on Ali. Because she is NOT a great actress. In fact, I don't think she'd EVER get another role like the one she has now. Same with K. McCollough (and I know I'm opening myself up t a LOT of flaming by admitting that's my opinion). They're not AMAZING actresses. But they found the one thing in daytime that will work in their favor - they grew UP on the show. ANd that, in and of itslef, is why they're so successful. Because fans who watch five days a week, for fifteen years, are AUTOMATICALLY in their corner, whether they manage to sell the material or not!

• Members

yup. and ill admit it. im one of them.

except if the actress were to leave and the show were to recast - i would be open to it. i would try. i always welcome recasts because im a show fan and a char fan above an actress fan.. most of the time. unless i hate the char and love the actress (like ali sweeney to be honest. so much damage has been done in the past 3 years to sami).

Archived