Higley Quit DAYS?

• Members

For rewriting Maria's stuff? For encouraging Y&R actors to write their own scenes? Or does BB just want more active involvement in the day-to-day running of Y&R? (Not contesting what you are saying, just asking).

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ok, come on, NB? Really? You think she has enough clout at DOOL? She's not a vet. (plus she loves working with JKJ; it was one of the reasons she came back this time) I have an idea of who ES let rewrite their lines but I'm not going to say b/c it's probably a Vet and someone who is part of a very popular couple.

• Members

First, let's get confirmation.

I'm going to pursue this idea...because there ARE times when desperate times call for desperate measures.

You are saying this SOLELY on "guild" or "union" lines, right? You SOLE justification for this is to preserve professional lines, right? For example, if Scott were a WGA member, you wouldn't care, right?

Again, I just want to confirm that this is because of the alleged WGA violation, right?

===

See, here's the thing.

FIRST, Ed Scott has been established as an interventionist. He departure from Y&R EP all that time ago was due to battles with Kay Alden that he lost. So, I think it is reasonable to suspect that he did some of the same things with Alden that he is doing with Higley. MOREOVER, apparently Sony VALUED that interventionist streak so he could clean house at DOOL. In the press, the more public conflicts with Alden were over characters (Jill's boytoy Sean, and Dianne Jenkins), but it must have been much worse...given that press at the time said there was a "who is in control" battle going on.

SECOND, Ed is a directing-interventionist too, since he is widely known to give actors' notes that would typically be within the director's purview.

THIRD, it was clearly to reign in this interventionist streak that, when Scott return to Y&R, it was as a "supervising producer", and to have him report to Jack Smith--who was clearly both EP and HW. Translation: I'm sure Ed CONTINUED to have writing suggestions, but he could now funnel them through Smith in a legal way.

FOURTH, by all accounts, Ed Scott in that slightly diminished role with Jack Smith as a go-between between writing and production worked pretty well. It didn't fall apart until LML came in (and, one imagines, disregarded and defanged Ed Scott).

Okay, now, why would Ed Scott disregard union rules and intervene in writing? Let's assume he has respect for the guild. But if the show begins to devolve more and more and more and more into sh*t...and the person who SHOULD be a go-between (Ken Corday) is not functioning well in that role, and he has been charged by Sony to fix things, and NOBODY IS LISTENING TO HIM...you can finally imagine him grabbing control of the wheel for the good of the show!

Now, IF A UNION WERE NOT INVOLVED, would everyone be so incensed? If not, is this a place where union protectionism comes at the cost of the show?

I am a pro-union liberal...but there are times when I believe union rules can be strangleholds. What if this is one of them?

And finally--actors re-writing...let's be HONEST. This happens DAILY. Public offenders include Tony Geary, Eric Braeden, Nancy Lee Grahn, and Elizabeth Hubbard...and many others, I am sure. So, since it happens all the time (and gets accepted as "actor's reinterpretation under the pressure of rapid memorization" and "actors as custodians of their characters, trying to make things sound more consistent with their characters"...why is it okay in these instances, but not here at DOOL?

Please don't flame me? :). I'm really just asking respectful, nosy questions.

• Members

If it can be proven that ES allowed actors and actresses to throw out complete stories.......the Guild may actually be able to sue Days, NBC and maybe even Sony for allowing this to happen.

This is the biggest clusterfuck I can think of happening in daytime.

• Members

I can totally see SN/MBE and NB being possibilities in this. Not so sure about Lauren Koslow. I know that the Kate/Daniel thing was a sudden shift, but that may have been due more to Lexie & Abe being given the autism storyline instead of Lexie having her usual affair.

Archived