Higley Quit DAYS?

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here is the way i see it going by everything from Dena's Blog to this latest scoop...

In Dena's blog she said higher ups are not letting her write the s/l and for characters she wants to write for. So who are the higher ups? IMO this is Ed Scott who is making some of those decisions and why Dena said she can no longer work for him. I think Dena is getting blamed for all the weird couples on screen but IMO it sounds like all these couples could have been Ed Scott's or the other higher ups decisions.

Corday knows who s/l's these were so if Dena did quit because of this, i can see Corday asking her to stay.

Anyways that is my opinion from everything I have read.

• Members

I just want the IIC(s) who is/are responsible for the following to be gone:

Sami sleeping with her rapist.

Stephanie having a romance with her uncle

Chelsea having a romance with her doctor.

Anyone who can't see the basic problem in those 3 situations has no business being in daytime.

I've never been convinced that JER actually left ;), so it won't surprise me if he's brought back, Wyman too.

• Members

DOOL doesn't seem to want to survive. NBC wants it dead. Ken Corday ostensibly wants to keep it alive but he can never get out of his and his writers' way long enough to put on a coherent program. Everybody invested in it, especially Corday, is so obsessed with ticking all the right boxes for each group of fandom - supercouples, 'shippers, supernatural stories, action, youth - and doing it all at once, but that's impossible to do without compromising the overall writing. How do you attempt to do a huge story with John Black's death, then announce he is alive four or five weeks later? They did that because they caved to another subset of fans. Oh, but wait, people like Drake with these new women! Oh but wait, we have to give John and Marlena something! But wait, what about Steve and Kayla...and Lucas and Sami...and EJ...wait...

It's an impossible way to run a show and I put almost all the blame on Corday and his choice of "keepers," including the disgusting Dena Higley. Her ADD style is almost identical to his own. But really, this is the bed Corday made for himself. He allowed JER to transform DOOL into something completely different, and is now hostage to the whims of those fans plus the couples fanbases, all of whom want a million different things that remind them of 1993 or 1997 or 1986...and have no patience for a carefully put together show. When DOOL fans want something they want it NOW, and Corday has always seen fit to give it to them NOW. He created this situation and now it's beyond his understanding. I don't think it can be saved, because even if someone usurped Corday, they'd still not be able to tame the audience in time. Yes, Claire Labine would be run out on a rail too, sadly. Because she wouldn't give the Romans in the coliseum what they want every two seconds, and Corday would fire her for it, then promise "more John and Marlena, more Bo and Hope, more adventure, classic Days, coming right up!" I saw this coming years ago.

• Members

Actually, perhaps she should pay more attention and make changes where recommended. I don't think anyone (writer, performer, executive, whatever) should take the critics too seriously. But they should consider that if they're hearing the same thing over and over again from multiple sources, there may be a grain of truth to it.

• Members

I also don't understand what Scott's role is supposed to be and how it's supposed to intertwine with Higley's, though I love it if it did.

And I'll take another moment to add that, for all the complaining about OLTL's supposed "nostalgia trips," it doesn't use its past or fans' memories as a crutch like DOOL does. OLTL used history and family (Asa's death) to galvanize characters last fall and propel all-new stories, characters and couples while using the history and existing families as a backdrop and foundation. Unlike DOOL, no ancient ossified couple like John and Marlena was used to "tick a certain box" and keep fans on a string with promises of more of this couple or that in between whatever schizoid story they were actually telling. There are no lame "fanbase interludes;" everything is woven into the texture of the current program. OLTL has been unafraid to present all-new couples (Jared and Natalie, Viki and Charlie, Rex and Gigi, even Clint and Nora) and stories while also respecting its own long history; it's mixed the old and the new and used the old as a way to the future. What DOOL does is haggle and barter with its own past to try and convince the viewers to stay tuned in for another couple weeks. "Don't like John with Ava? Don't worry, he and Marlena have an IMPORTANT ENCOUNTER next week! It's going to be great, just like old times! Oh, you like Ava? I know right, [!@#$%^&*] Marlena! Okay, so then John and Ava will have a lot more coming in two weeks! Whuh-what's that? You want Steve and Kayla? Wuh-well, yeah, they have some great, um, stuff coming at the end of the month...um, you're looking for Nick? Oh, yeah, [!@#$%^&*] those old people! Nick will have some great scenes in three weeks..."

There's no new generation there, no new stories DOOL is telling. The show resembles nothing more than a desperate used car salesman with flop sweat, trying to remind you of the good old days when you had a muscle car as a kid.

• Members

It would be shocking even for KFC if he let Scott go so he could keep Dena. OTOH, I feel as though Scott's presence has been completely non-existent since March. It looks and feels exactly it did before he joined, except at least they don't shoot everything with a pee-yellow haze anymore.

Archived