AMC: Mad Men

Cat

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would agree there.

(Or you have some more modern characters who change and no longer can really stay on the show. I don't mean poor Saul--I always hope he'll pop up again, but like that woman who was into the Greenwich Village scene who Don was dating who eventually just had to leave him, etc)

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Another soap scene was on this week--Megan is now playing twin sisters (one blond one brunette.) Which made me think--when did soaps first do that? I thought it was on AMC in the 70s when one sister died--I know of course in the late 60s Vicki played multiple personalities, but...

• 10 months later...
  • Members

TNR explains why Mad Men became a critical darling and Weiner became a god.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117335/mad-men-premieres-matthew-weiner-overrated

I agree with a lot of it, although it unravels by the end (the South Park guys haven't been critically acclaimed or that much of a media focus in a very long time, and Lena Dunham is one of the most pretentious twits around).

• Members

I have seen every episode of Mad Men and yet I really don't like it. But last night was it for me I think. I can't handle another season of Don's unrelenting depression (over what?! Growing up in a whorehouse and then becoming ridiculously successful and still unhappy? He probably had MDD but frankly, I do not care and it's not enjoyable or entertaining to watch). He is the immovable, unchanging noose around the narrative of this show.

I'm sick of his nonsense conversation with every pretty woman he meets because they all end in her offering her body to him no matter how much he looks like a boiled potato. It was nice to see Neve Campbell though, she's gorgeous.

This show only gives the appearance of being a top drama because the camera is still and the dialogue is sparse. That doesn't excuse the stilted acting or lack of character progression. At times I feel like I'm watching a child play with Barbies, it's all so pretty and inconsequential.

• Members

Was Neve the real estate agent?

And I don't know what it is but I find Don Draper/Jon Hamm drop dead sexy....I swear the guy I've been pining for for months on ends now looks like a younger version of Jon Hamm but everyones says my vision is mistaken so whatever.

But yeah I couldn't even stick to the end of last nights episode. I just got this feeling of dread and depression every time I saw Don onscreen. This guy just refuses to be happy. And at the end it looked like he had developed a drinking problem which is of course exactly what I'd expect from this character.

As Sally said last season "that poor girl".

• Members

Hell has frozen over because I actually liked Joan in the premiere for the first time ever. Maybe Weiner finally got a clue that a 40-year-old bitch that goes through life on her back isn't compelling to watch and is finally giving her a brain?

I still continue to hope that Megan gets caught up in the canyon catastrophe that is a few weeks away because she continues to be useless.

Archived