Home and Away: Discussion Thread

• Members

I heard about the proposed Fisher storyline. If anything, if Fisher would've died it should've been in Marilyn's arms instead. But I can see why it was vetoed either way. 

Though it's sad the network is so hesitant about revisiting the past and is embracing solely the future. I mean I'm kind of surprised they never recast or brough back any of Irene's children or grandchildren. I guess I should be surprised that they brought on Leah's nephew from one of her brothers. 

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@DRW50 Oh I watch more often than not these days too and think the show is in pretty good shape. As pointed out in the other thread, they've really basically abandoned the history the past decade or so (outside of Alf's family) whereas Neighbours had really circled back to the history in recent times. Once Sally was gone, the appearances from people like Pippa and Sally's siblings stopped and that whole side of the show faded away.

Neighbours really had a lot of older characters back towards the end and active connections that allowed them to bring back characters like Scott, Charlene, Mike, Shane, Izzy, etc. Home & Away is basically down to Alf, Irene, Marilyn, and I guess Roo and Leah and they haven't done the best job of keeping the connections to past characters active. I guess that comes down to Neighbours having a lot of families whereas Home & Away doesn't. All those connections on Neighbours allowed for such an emotional episode and I'm just not share Home & Away could reach that again outside of the few people mentioned. I'm sure they'd go for people like Sally, Pippa, Don, Colleen, Ailsa, Bobby, and even people like Hayley, Brax, Gypsy, etc though when it ends. The people that would really serve a nostalgic punch, like you said, would be so far removed from the current show outside of Alf, Irene, and Marilyn that it would be kind of jarring even if done nice. The show that Ailsa, Don, and Sally existed just feels so far removed from the current show, at least to me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

UGH. Fisher was never one of my favorite characters, but who wants to see a grim, hopeless story end like that? No thank you.

Are any of Pippa's kids in Summer Bay any more? (Like Emmerdale, I have not had access to H&A in many years, so haven't watched it in a long time.)

I think the only character I would know nowadays is Alf Stewart.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

It's a shame they never bring back these  legends. I know some still fans still talk about Pippa today. 

Marilyn has a new story that just started, about a long lost child I guess, possibly. Roo had a decent story earlier this year about giving her mother a kidney. There was a strong scene in a therapy session where she finally vented about all the damage her mother faking her death did to her, including causing her to give her child up for adoption. If I ever find it I'll clip it and post it. A lot of fans do not like this retcon about Alf's wife not actually being dead, which I understand. 

The show didn't really do anything for the passing of Cornelia Frances, which is a shame. Alf did mention Morag yesterday, for the first time in a long time, so it's good timing to read your comment. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Many soaps have completely abandoned their initial identies, and changed their styles, tone and content dramatically. I wonder how many fans of the "original" Home and Away still watch today's incarnation. I'm curious if Pippa would even fit in anymore.

It's a shame TPTB didn't really do anything to commemorate Morag after Cornelia Frances passed away.  When Alf mentioned her yesterday, did it sound like Morag was dead?

In general, I dislike back-from-the-dead stories. Not to make a groan-inducing pun, but this sort of story has been done to death on soaps, with Days of our Lives being the worst offender. But at least Roo's reaction was believable. IRF, anyone would be hurt and furious if their mother had faked her death.

• Members

Well, that doesn't give the audience any confirmation, one way the other.

When beloved actors pass away IRL, soaps often leave the fate of their characters vague (Bert--for a year-- on TGL, Jessie on GH, Sally on B&B, etc.)  Do viewers prefer to imagine that their favorite characters are "still out there, somewhere"? Or would they rather TPTB acknowledge the actors'/characters' demise?

If a performer is too beloved to be replaced, I personally want to see closure for the character and a tribute to the actor, even if that means the character has to be acknowledged as deceased.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• 1 month later...