Home and Away: Discussion Thread

• Members

I will do at some point. The original concept of the show, with a couple fostering lots of children, was so cleverly done as it allowed lots of different stories to be told within one family. It also enabled new kids to arrive on a regular basis. 

But it couldn't be sustained longterm as the actors who played Tom, Pippa (both of them) and Michael moved on. Wasn't there another family after them who also fostered kids? How successful was that?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When Pippa left in 1998, I think a normal family (The Nashes) moved in but barely lasted 2 years, then the Sutherlands moved in who lasted about 5 years, then one of the original foster children Sally, moved in and began fostering. This went up until 2008 and now they've stuck one of the original characters Alf Stewart in Summer Bay house, with another long standing character Leah (2000-) and her new family.

I think at some point, it would be a good idea to bring back one of the original foster kids again and start them fostering again.

• Members

Just to expand on the situation with the Nash family a bit more, Travis Nash and his wife Rebecca (Fisher's daughter) initially took over fostering from Pippa - Sam went to live with Fisher, while Tiegan and Justine stayed with Travis and Rebecca (Sally moved into Travis and Rebecca's old place with Vinnie and Jesse at this time).  They were eventually joined by Travis' brother Joel, his wife Natalie and their kids Tom and Gypsy (initially they lived in separate houses but after Joel and Natalie's house was destroyed in an arson by Gypsy's stalker, they moved in with Travis and Rebecca). Travis and Rebecca eventually left the bay, while Tiegan  had already gone off to live with Pippa after her break up with Joey.

Over the next year, Justine and Tom left and Joel and Natalie eventually split up and left town as well. Gypsy stayed in town and the Sutherlands moved in to the Summer Bay House.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Man, this show isn't taking things lightly this week. Charlotte's murderer revealed, Tank and Andy responsible for the deaths of Hannah and Oscar, Ricky can't have any more children, and Maddy will have to get her arm amputated. The only other soap amputation story I'm aware of is Philip on DAYS. Has there been any others?

Edited by Bright Eyes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Poor Hannah. She gets a double mastectomy to save herself from cancer and then 3 weeks later she dies from a blow to the head. I haven't been watching for long at all, since February I believe, but I'm sick of all these deaths on ALL the international soaps. If you watch all of them, there's one nearly weekly. Anyway, I find H&A much more compelling than Neighbours right now, Neighbours is a lot more plot-driven, Terese's attitude towards Paul refusing to believe he might be innocent is so irritating and unbelievable for me.

• Members

I don't like the way the show has been handling Billie's rape. It feels like a giant plot device to get Billie to pass the baby off as VJ's, and also the aftermath got a bit lost during the explosion episodes.

Edited by Dion

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Not much love for the Aussie soap here.

I mostly enjoy it. Now that Nate knows Billie's baby is not V.J.'s, wonder how the show is gonna deal with it. After all, the baby is Irene's grandchild.

I wish they would give Marilyn more depth. The character is too over the top.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hunter and Olivia's breakup was great. The kids are really good actors and I like all they interact with older characters like Irene, John, Marilyn. Wish US soaps would do that too.

I'm surprised Zac turned down Sam's offer for sex in exchange for help for his book. Hope they won't change it.

I'm still not very invested in the Morgan family.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The most underrated foreign soap IMO. It's the most character-driven I find, of course I've only been watching since last year so I can't compare it to the past. I am months behind, making my way through the second half of September currently, and it's really good, I'm glad I picked it back up. I love how the two Aussie soaps are night and day, Neighbours is very campy, over-the-top, manic while H&A is more about quiet conversations. I love the mix of old folks with the teenagers. I think H&A is the best one at that counting UK soaps. All the characters are likable, my favorites have to be Marilyn, Irene and Ruth. I wish Jordan (was it?) and Skye had stayed longer.
I still think killing off a character weeks after she has a double mastectomy in an explosion is the cruelest thing I've seen! And watching Neighbours I was spoiled about what's going to happen to Billie seeing videos on the sidebar. I don't like her as I do an Olivia but her story is good. Also saw the Hunter actor is leaving this year? I like him, and his gay vibes LOL. I didn't recognize Ash right away from his Shortland Street days, which I've stopped bothering with as it's too hard to find.

• Members

Home and Away is shot really well, it is beautifully shot in fact, and has a very attractive cast. Unfortunately that's where my kind words end. Neighbours is far superior IMO. I find it interesting you think Home and Away is very character driven, I'd say it's the exact opposite. 

Hunter is extremely hot, hope the actor is gay

Please register in order to view this content