EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wish Michelle's exit was up, I've only ever saw it once. Surprisingly, she didn't get a Julia's Theme (nor did Sharon a few months prior). In those days, they used it very sparingly.

The last scene is the only thing that's up at this point:

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I didn't realize they tied all of that into the square finding out Mark had HIV.

Did they know Bill Treacher was leaving at this time or did they not know? It's always been a little sad to me that she wasn't there for his funeral.

• Members

Grant was actually understanding about the HIV and kept quiet about it for nearly a year after this when the rest of the square found out via other means.

They did know Bill Treacher was leaving at this point (I recall an article in the NZ TV Guide approx Feb/March 1995 saying that Letitia Dean, Susan Tully and Bill Treacher would be leaving), though they may not have yet decided to kill him off. I think the original plan was just to leave Arthur in prison before realising that they needed a more final end for the character. IIRC, after his imprisonment at Christmas, Arthur did not make any appearances until his release in May 1996 whereupon he died.

• Members

I agree, BetterForgotten. Ethel should absolutely have been included over Jim. They had a two hander (the show's first?) and the story of Dot helping Ethel to die is considered to be one of the show's best ever.

• Members

I also don't get how Dot and Jim have become romanticized over the years. Dot didn't marry Jim because she was in love with him, she married him because she was lonely and needed a companion.

Dot has also never really fit in with the Branning's outside of Jim, Sonia, and I guess Bradley

• Members

Metro is a bit of a trashy, clickbait site. I have a feeling the person who wrote the article has a history of the show that involves Youtube clips and a skim of Wikipedia.

I think it's easy to romanticize Jim now because he spent his last few years on the show clearly ill, and was left offcamera 3-4 years before he passed away. The reality was not as pleasant. I'm glad the show remembered that.

• Members

Well, tonight's episode marked the beginning of Lee's depression storyline and I don't have a good feeling about it. Danny Boy Hatchard mumbled through his scenes and I'm just not feeling it.

The Max/Carol and Jean/Stacey scenes were good, though. Daran Little can write. I haven't quite forgiven him for writing with his dick and making a rapist a sex object in his previous episode, though.