EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Ugh. That baby switch story was abysmal and stupid. What woman doesn't know how HER baby looks. I thought it was so stupid that Kat couldn't identify that wasn't her son in the crib. Had the switch occurred right at the hospital after the birth, OK. But they had already taken the babies home by then. Kirkwood was hot garbage along with his plots and characters.

Newman needs to get it together too or she needs to be shown the door too. She seriously needs to cut a lot of the deadweight on this show.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for the info guys--I found a digitalSpy article that says the baby switch was rushed to conclusion it was so hated. Currently the how just feels pretty dark and depressing with a lot of unhappy people, though I know EE has a rep for that. But even Dot seems to be going through early dementia or something.

• Members

A lot of "groups" complained about the baby switch, which led to some changes. If it had played out as it was originally intended, it might have been better. Or not. I wish we'd found out.

Eastenders is treated shabbily by the press and many in the public because it's on the BBC, which is taxpayer-funded. Corrie and Emmerdale have told some shockingly offensive and dangerous stories in the last 3-4 years, and gotten a free pass, because they're on ITV.

• Members

Some storylines just because it's EE they get complaints whereas other shows would get away with it.

The Jackson assisted suicide in ED for example, i'm sure if it'd be EE hundreds wouldve complained & it probably wouldve been changed to him living.

ng is its

I really hope EE turns itself around as it has some really talented actors. They've announced that Cindy jr( Lucy & Peters half sister) is to join the cast soon.

She's 14/15 so i'm guessing they'll hire some other teens as her friends? Maybe a new family thats been rumored lately

There's also meant to be a EE announcement at Midnight, not sure if its casting or storyline related though. But from reading online the thinking its a ex ED/Corrie/HO cast member joining

• Members

Lomas will probably be a good fit for Eastenders, as he does the cheeky hardman routine and has some charisma, or had it in earlier years. I haven't watched the show in the last few years so I don't know how he'll fit in. I just hope someone can replace Phil as he's so dull.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Lou was one of the best soap matriarchs ever. Tough and mean, but also kind, fair, when she wanted to be, and fiercely loyal. Anna Wing always played her with vulnerability and sly humor. Lou's death seemed very abrupt, but was true to the character - her last scene is one of the most moving I can remember on Eastenders, or soaps.

I remember reading that she later said she regretted leaving. Julia Smith begged her not to go.

In the long run she probably made the right choice, but I do think they could have gotten a few more years out of Lou. I hated when they made Pauline similar to her, minus some of the warmth.

• Members

They've announced the signing of Kate Magowan who was in Stardust, plus my fave show of all time. 'Dream Team' which Gary Lucy & Jamie Lomas also starred in. Also ex EE stars Robert Kazinsky & Kara Tointon were in it.

I'm thinking EE are making some good casting atm just hope the writing for them is good.

Edited by soapgirluk

• Members

Paul Bhattacharjee has been found dead.

He appeared several times on Eastenders as Masood's brother, who had sexually harassed Zainab. She kept quiet, due to his money and power. When Masood learned the truth, he disowned his brother, in spite of the money the family needed for their debts.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2013/jul/18/paul-bhattacharjee

Edited by DRW50