EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I haven't either. I barely watch any of them now. I sort of feel like I'm in one of those stories where in the past I saw a great destruction and knew it would happen again in the future, powerless to stop it. That's what happened with the American soaps and now the British ones. The decline in quality has been staggering, for me.

• Members

It's weird though, a decade ago, the press would be outraged if one of the British soaps were in serious trouble creatively. These days, they settle for mediocrity and let just about anything slip by - no matter how poor it is.

It's hard to imagine that only a decade or so ago, both EastEnders and Corrie had some very high points in their histories (with good press, above average ratings for certain stories, and total pop cultural saturation). It's scary and a bit sad how much things have changed since the early/mid 00's.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This was some little red button special they did to set up Dot's return. Not the best, but I thought it was sweet (Abi caring enough to try to convince her to return home), which is something I can't say about soaps very often now. I also can't believe June Brown is 85 - she has the mobility of someone far younger.

Who is the bossy woman in the bad wig? The actress looks familiar to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DWPGP_NSFk

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I love Abi more than most people do. Lorna Fitzgerald is just such a young gem and her I loved her giving what for to Jay, Max and Tanya this past week. Thanks for posting. When Dot returns, they should have Abi move in with her since her family always underappreciate her, like the running gag of her always having to get the door when someone arrives. I just hope they don't ever let Abi become some tragedy. I love those types of heroines, but it's so rare to see someone as uplifting as Abi can be these days and if they Jennifer Horton her, I will be livid!

• Members

Is anyone else enjoying the Masood/Ayesha story? I quite like it, and I quite like Ayesha, too. I hope she sticks around after Zainab exits in February.

I like the Cora/Ava/Dexter scenes, and the Jay/Abi/Lola/Dexter group actually work really well. But, why must the entire Branning family all have storylines at once? Some of them need to be supporting players.

I thought Denise and Ray's kiss had potential, but I don't like the direction it has taken them and Kim. It's turned into a mess, and for what? Ray's turned into a jerk, Denise is being branded a whore, and Kim is just stupid. I was rooting for Alfie & Roxy, but I don't like the way they've gotten together, or how Alfie still gives Kat the time of day.

And why must Bianca always be dirt poor? It's so repetitive, tedious and boring. Move the character on already, otherwise what was the point in bringing her back.

• Members

I felt sympathy for Kirsty for the first time tonight. However, it bothers me that Max can continue to be the biggest prick of all time, but that I still love him. Compliments to Jake Wood for always making me care about his contant douchebaggery. I'm in the minority on this board, but I majorly love the Branning family, even Tanya now, ever since Cora came to town and the cancer story.

• Members

I don't mind Jack, but if he left I wouldn't miss him. However, the best part about last night's show was Michael Moon with a constant grin on his face as Dot went on one of her rants at The Vic. He seemed so amused by her, it was hilarious. I can't believe how much I really like him now, though I very much dislike the latest spolier about his upcoming story.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

I don't mind most of them, but they are now a huge family unit, with ever expanding members, who all have storylines at once. It's Branning over kill. It doesn't help that this Tanya/Max/Kirsty triangle is tedious a boring; it doesn't bring anything new to the table or develop any of the characters at all - it is a retread of past storylines for this couple. I don't care about them, and that is a major problem, as I can't get invested in such an empty story.

I've noticed that seems to bug a lot of people, like b/c she comes from a working class background, her having aspirations that exceed that class barrier is some how a hated topic. As an American, you don't really need to understand it, as it's not made an issue of on the show. I think it's always been part of her character to be snobbish and pass judgement on people who she should have more sympathy for due to her childhood, but I can understand her wanting to better herself and move out of that. Maybe it's a generational thing, and it's older people who have an issue with it, but as someone who is a lot younger and hasn't had to live through eras when class has been so focused on, it doesn't resonate with me. I hope I've made some sort of sense here. lol.