EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

That trailer is awesome; however, EE is boring me to tears as of late. Lauren/Joey pairing is gross and disturbing--giving me the same feelings that I had for GL's Jammy. Kat's affair is played out, and Max and Derek's secret--I'm over it. Only stories that are holding my attention are Cora/Ava and Sharon & Phil trying to get back Lexi. I'm praying that 2013 is better--especially for the Foxes, especially Denise, who I feel can carry story. Hate her upcoming story already b/c I wish they'd pair her with Ian. For some reason, I feel that they have chemistry that is being untapped.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There were some fairly subtle hints early on that Nick was mostly just someone who would sleep with anybody, for his own gain. The Mark/Nick relationship had that vibe.

I can't see that with Lofty though, and frankly, I'm glad they dropped it. Lofty was one of my favorite characters.

• Members

In other departure news, John Yorke is leaving the BBC and will be replaced by another EastEnders alum - Kate Harwood. mellow.png

http://www.guardian....ama-boss-leaves

http://www.guardian....tion-head-drama

Kate Harwood will take charge of EastEnders, Holby City and Casualty as part of a shakeup of the BBC's in-house drama department following the exit of John Yorke.

Even though the past few years have been tumultuous, I will always have a great affinity and respect for Yorke's direct producing era of EastEnder (00-02), which was such a high point for the show and when I started to watch closer to the UK transmission thanks to BBC America. He loved the show very much and I always believed that in a genuine way.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I know some felt like she was promoted up to get her out of Eastenders (or was that Hutchinson).

I shouldn't be surprised to hear about Nina, but I am. I loved her work as Zainab. She reminded me so much of old school Eastenders, the early years, by far the best years. I don't watch very often now but this still sucks.

• Members

It was Harwood.

I mean I'll give 2005 a pass thanks to the show still living off some very popular characters, Den's murder storyline, and Chrissie's dominance. But 2006 is perhaps the lowest the show ever sunk creatively. Even now, it's really hard for me to sit through an episode from that year.

Pauline's exit story alone (though the character had become grating to watch long before then) should have meant that Harwood never came anywhere near the show again.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Anyone watch the "big" reveal Thursday and Friday?

The content was good, however, the reveal sucked. Plus, everyone knew it was going to be Derek that Kat slept with. Why she slept with toad, IDK. Derek must know how to put it down.tongue.png And I'm sorry but I cannot get behind the kissing and humping cousins story. It's just TOO nasty for me. Hated it on Guiding Light and I hate it here. I cannot wait for Lucy to learn the truth and bust that s*it up. I hope she channels her mother in the process, and hires someone to pop one in Joey or Lauren (mainly Lauren) because both are grating my nerves. . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I saw some upset comments because Sharon didn't mention Dennis' death on NYE. I can see where Sharon wouldn't exactly want to talk about this, but I do wonder if they should have mentioned it for new viewers.

There was also some upset over Peggy and Sharon now feuding again. Not too shocking for Peggy though.

Apparently they had no story plans in mind for Sharon when she returned? Did they?

• Members

Sharon's been a supporting character ever since she returned, they haven't given her any lead story yet (which I guess will probably change in 2013).

The excuse given for why Peggy didn't attend Lexi's christening was that she didn't want to be around Sharon. I too didn't like this, as Peggy and Sharon ended on very good terms when Sharon left in early 2006. The two characters didn't see or speak to each other since then for Peggy to automatically go back to her 1995 mindset on Sharon.

Sharon mentioned Dennis' death earlier on in her return and had a poignant scene on the street corner where he died. But given this was the 6th anniversary of his passing, it's strange that she wouldn't be thinking about it on this day.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner