OLTL: Are the writers abusing Addie?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't have a long history with the character of Addie. Maybe it I did I would feel differently, but as it stands I don't agree with that column. I don't see Addie as being played for a fool. It seems to me that she is taking a lot of joy in life, making up for lost time and going after what she wants. I love that Addie isn't held back by social convention. If she wants to do something she does it and she doesn't care if it's appropriate for someone of her age or place in life. I say "Go Addie" enjoy life and lucidity while you have them. You never know when they will be snatched away.

• Members

I think the marriage to David is stupid and contrived but I don't necessarily think Addie's being played as a fool. Youthful, yes but not foolish. She sometimes comes across as the smartest one in the lot.

BUT I really hated today's episode, it was absolute crap. I'm sorry I watched it.

• Members

I think they made it clear on teh show taht she was NOT being played for a fool. She knows exactly who David is and what this marriage is about. She simply doesnt care. She's missed out on so much while being mentally ill and is now free from that and grasping to experience as much as possible and see what she's missed out on. Her marriage with David is about having fun and feeling good about herself. So far, she's having a blast and good for her bc David is definetly someone who knows how to have a good time. She's not complaining and she definetly isnt a sucker.

• Members

Completely disagree, but hey, I guess Marlena has to be critical of something for fear of being called as much a syncophant as Nelson Branco (whose personal attacks on her I do not approve of).

It's been emphasized that Addie knows what she wants and why she wants it and how to get it, even if she is eccentric and impulsive. It's not abuse by the writers. At all.

• Members

In my opinion, Addie and Langston are the only two Cramer women with any sense. I don't think Addie has been written like a fool at all. When she married David, she told Blair exactly why. When she first came back, she told her family that she wanted to live her life the way she wanted. I think it's heart warming, actually.

Archived