Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Muneco Jim put some episodes back up, and I was watching some that I hadn't seen. This is the New Year's 1993 episode. Given all the depressing stories at the start of the year (Louie's cancer, Stacey's gaslighting, Ceara's death), it makes sense to do what they did here and devote a huge chunk of the episode to the singing and dancing troupe of Dr. Ron Turner and Five Guys Named Moe" I know very little about this character - I guess he must have been just about done by this time. Isaiah Washington played him briefly, but this actor seems to be Jeffrey D. Sams, who was in the Broadway revival of Moe at this time. Others in the revival were, per Wikipedia, Jerry Dixon, Doug Eskew, Milton Craig Nealy, Kevin Ramsey, and Glenn Turner. Not sure which of these guys were there with Sams.

This must be the most airtime black performers got on Loving until later in 1993...

@Vee @SFK

Loving - January 4, 1993 - YouTube

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The New Year's Eve episode is the tailend of Addie Walsh's first run. Walsh was out in several weeks replaced by Millee Taggert and Robert Guza. So this was more than likely filler or maybe Walsh (or Granger) intended to use Turner more had the show continued.

Dr. Ron Turner (technically Jr. but I don't think this was in the credits or stated directly on the show) was played by Jeffrey D. Sams from all of the run from what I can tell. I'm missing a few weeks in May / June 1992, but Turner appears to be first introduced at the Casablanca Dance in June, 1992. I believe Kent introduces Cooper to Turner as an alumni of their fraternity and a psychologist at AU. Turner treats Cooper for his sexual intimacy issues stemming from his previous sexual encounter with his nanny, Selina Walker. Walsh supposedly left half way through the year and Haidee Granger ghostwrote a period of 1992 according to some comments made in the press. Granger was a former daytime TV executive as was her replacement Jozie Emmerich. 

1992 is just a bizarre year. There did seem to be an attempt to embrace the theatre community. The previous summer Ava had those Phantom of Burnell's fantasies. 

• Members

Alan Locher is hosting a trio of soap alums on his YouTube show, The Locher Room, to benefit the nonprofit organization, Chrysalis. Real-life girlfriends and former soap stars, Rebecca Gayheart (ex-Hannah, LOVING), Sharon Leal (ex-Dahlia, GUIDING LIGHT) and Yvonna Kopacz-Wright (ex-Mel, GL) will participate in the live interview and discuss their two-plus decades as friends, motherhood and their careers to help raise money for the organization. This interview will take place on Thursday March 11, 3 p.m. ET and can be viewed herefor the full story. Chrysalis is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a pathway to self-sufficiency for homeless and low-income individuals by providing the resources and support needed to find and retain employment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Walsh is credited as writer of the gaslighting storyline. The rumor is that Walsh left the show in a disagreement with Haidee Granger at some point in the summer of 1992. This is purely speculation on my part, but I believe Granger scrapped the sexual assault storyline involving Cooper Alden. After several months of build, it is revealed that Cooper and Selena had a moment together that was downplayed immensely in the reveal. When Walsh returned in 1994, she rewrote the Selina / Cooper situation and had Cooper reveal that Selina had molested him. the gaslighting storyline was late 1992 and was wrapped up very quickly under Guza and Taggert. 

I'm glad most of December 1993 is making its way online. I hope January 1994 ends up online. That month was a bit stronger. It has the end of Cooper and Ally's engagement on the eve of their wedding and the beginning of the Clay and Steffi pairing.