Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Members

The channel that has mostly put up Trisha/Trucker clips put up a full episode a few days ago. I'm not sure if it was already around but I'd never seen it. The main stories are the teen dramas amidst an unintentionally hilarious cameo from Marla Maples (she is passable enough but her intro, including Louie having a crush on her and Ava saying after hard times a visit from Marla Maples is just what they need, is a hoot) and the well-acted but extremely grimy Clay/Stacey plot. There are some nice Casey and Ally scenes, and a reminder of what a big budget even the lowest-rated soap had.

Edited by DRW50

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I loved watching the first two episodes (and partially a third episode) of LOVING posted, as have most of you...

I came into watching LOVING in late '85, early '86 after Marland had left, and most of the original cast had gone to make way for creative development that essentially would make LOVING a "lite" version of sister soap ALL MY CHILDREN.

In the early 90's, there was an annual publication called "The History of the Soaps". I mainly purchased it because I was a big fan of ONE LIFE and ALL MY CHILDREN, and I wanted to know their respective histories. However, I was always curious as to how other shows began their epics too. LOVING was one of, if not the most intriguing to me with initial stories in comparison to ones I initially tuned into to pale by comparison. If you're a fan of LOVING you have followed the "Ladies of Loving", "Gentleman" and "Fans" specials put out by Chris Marcantel (original and only Curtis Alden)? Even he has opinionated himself that the show never should have veered away from it's original intent - to be a socially conscious "modern day soap".

You all have made wonderful observations - "Rita Mae" being "Opal-esque", the family dynamic of the Donovans; the connection between Doug and Ann (I loved Shannon Eubanks "Ann", she reminded me of Erika Slezak's "Viki"). That they had yet to cast Patrick Donovan - and even when the Donovan patriarch was cast, it's not like he had anything memorable to do - better to have made Rose Donovan a widow and give seasoned veteran Teri Keane more story. Of all the incest, progressive priests, liberal media, AIDS, and Vietname Veteran PTSD tackled...I am surprised the show didn't premiere with an even more diverse cast - maybe the Slaters could have been African-American? Did anyone ever here the rumor Shana Sloane was intended to be black? 

Also, I wonder what longevity LOVING would have had if it hadn't been a network show but a cable show? So many "what ifs", it's fun to speculate...

• Members

LOVING Children questions...

1) Lorna Forbes ultimately married her lawyer Zach Conway...did they have a child offscreen? 

2) Did Steffi Brewster have a baby with Cooper Alden? I know Cooper had one with Ally Rescott named Tyler but I thought Steffi was showing signs of pregnancy once her character moved over to "The City".

3) Ann is not Jack Forbes' biological mother, just his adoptive mother?

4) Was Rick the bio-dad of Heather, or did it turn out to be Jack in the end?

Thanks!

Erik

• Members

Jack’s biological parents were Dane Hammond and Linda Henderson. Linda died in an automobile accident and her parents gave her to Roger and Ann Forbes to raise. 

I haven’t heard of any reference to Zack and Lorna having a child. Kelly was Zack’s daughter by his late first wife and she lived with Cabot and Isabelle after Zack and Lorna left Corinth. I don’t know if Lorna was mentioned during the Corinth murders but her flight (and Ann’s) was delayed which prevented her coming to town for Jack’s memorial. 

I know Steffy was planning to name her child after Casey Bowman, her friend and ex. I’ve always read the child was a girl, Casey Antonia, but that was on “the City.”

Heather was Rick’s child. It wasn’t often acknowledged but Clay and Gwyn did visit Heather when it suited the story. It’s easy to forget it though as everyone referred to Jack as Heather’s father since he raised her. 

• Members

Thank you one and all, thank you dc11786 for the in depth info...

The reason I was asking was because I was so inspired by the videos/chats Chris Marcantel (original Curtis) created, that I wanted to create a LOVING reboot. Let me share some of the very, very barebones idea I have for a premiere cast...Anyways, was just wondering what you all thought: 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Lust4Life76