Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks Carl for posting those episodes again. 

Yes, that is Nada Rowand in that ad. Her voice is very distinct.

That episode is what passed for Christmas that year. It's a little unfortunate. I think the conclusion to the story is compelling, and it was a good way to transition Tess from a sleazy grifter to a more complex character. I just wish they hadn't tried to so hard to force that characterization prior to this. There were some scenes prior to this which I felt were trying to paint Tess as some sort of Ceara type who they were thinking of pairing with Jeremy, but I don't think Jeremy and Tess ever went much beyond business partners. Other than when Nixon writes for her, Tess is too hard of a character for me to actually enjoy. 

This is one of Pat Barry's final episodes. Her last episode I believe is the Alden family New Years' party several episodes later where she casually states she's returning to Florida and has turned over her shares of the company to Clay leaving Stacey dumbfounded. 

Dante was needed to resolve the story threads that had been established by Millee Taggert and Robert Guza. I don't see the longevity in the character that Nixon did. My understanding is Dante's role only got curtailed because there was blow back due to the only Middle Eastern character being a villain. I think the backlash today would probably have been even greater. 

The Frankie / Angie stuff isn't playing for me. I think bringing Debbi Morgan and Angie to "Loving" wasn't a terrible idea. Guza and Taggert wanted to pair her with Trucker, which would have given her a substantial position on the canvas. The hospital was never a central location, and, to keep it a central location, things became a bit plot driven. I wonder if the show wouldn't have been better off setting her up in a clinic at 35 Maple Street where she could treat the college students. Maybe that would have been too limiting. 

Frankie was much more aggressive when Guza and Taggert wrote for him. I think they even directly referenced a young Jesse in relation to the type of person Frankie was. None of this stuck though. Nixon went with a much less angry Frankie, and the Frankie / Trucker angle was dropped in favor of Frankie / Charles. 

• Members

Sorry the clips aren't working for you. Yes, you're right - in that "your arms are too short to box with God" scene with Frankie and Angie at the garage, Angie says explicitly that he's just like Jesse and how concerned she is. She ends up calling the cops on him for that reason. They tried to focus on the race element with Frankie again on The City but that seemed to go down like a lead balloon. I guess he was a little bland toward the end of Loving but I prefer that version of the character. 

The uploader mentioned that they hinted at pairing Trucker/Angie, and he even asked her out, but she declined. It's a shame as that would have been interesting to see.

Thanks for more background on that 1993 episode. 

• Members

I haven't watched these episodes yet, but I remember Lee Chamberlin (sporting long blonde locks) made some appearances as Pat when Angie and Frankie moved to Corinth. Alimi was such a good Frankie. I'd like to forget that Jason Olive was ever cast.

It's great to see Janie again. After all these years. To my knowledge this is the first time. Anything with Janie has popped up on YT. Her scenes with Cooper were hoot. Alimi Ballard was the best Frankie. The other two Frankie's were bland non entities. Killing Janie off was a really stupid move.

Edited by victoria foxton