May 5-9, 2008

Toups

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mark H., thats a great graph. It is incredible to see it all play out in plain sight. It gives a real representation of what is happening.

This industry has had some powerhouse shows. All My Children,As The World Turns, Another World, General Hospital, Guiding Light, The Edge of Night, Search for Tomorrow, Days Of Our Lives, Young and The Restless; These shows are powerhouse dramas whom all have had creative masters at the helm at times. Soaps have been under-rated from the beginning. They are iconic because of the loyalty and enthusiasim they have inspired.

Soaps are on their last leg. Trends look horrible, and the daytime dramas could run out of gas very soon. It's sad, and I do blame it on the changes in lifestyle and entertainment choice. Things would be going down now no matter what. I'm sure of that.

I also think that those who created or deeply understood the Daytime Dynasty: Irna Phillips, Douglas Marland, Bill Bell, Ted and Betty Corday, Agnes Nixon, and many other greats, are either in the next life or incapacitated. They made daytime pull at the heartstrings and draw viewers in.

Today, there are too many people Behind the Scenes who are trying to reach the audience and make the soaps easy to watch. They should just try to make these shows great. If you focus on greatness, it can be achieved.

• Members

Fringe Ratings Report: ABC Daytime Programming

Week of May 5, 2008 and May 08 Sweeps To Date

May Sweeps 08 to Date, ABC is Daytime's

No. 1 Network in Women 18-49

For the Tenth Week Running, "General Hospital"

Clinches Daytime's No. 1 Position in Women 18-34

ABC Extends its Streak of Owning 3 of Daytime's Top 5 Programs to

Five Consecutive Weeks in Key Women 18-34 and Women 18-49

Lifted by Snoop Dogg's Performance, Thursday's "One Life to Live" Surpasses the Series' Season-to-Date Average by 18% in Women 18-34 and by 4% in Women 18-49

"The View" Places Among Daytime's Top 5 Most-Watched Programs in Total Viewers

for the 18th Week Running, and Also Notches Top 5 Ranks in Core Women

Delivering Another Convincing Victory in Daytime's 3pm Hour This Week,

"General Hospital" Tops CBS' "Guiding Light" by Solid Margins in All Targets

ABC Daytime

* May 08 sweeps to date, ABC is Daytime's No. 1 network in target Women 18-49 (1.3 rating - tie).

* For the 10th week running, "General Hospital" clinched Daytime's No. 1 position in Women 18-34 (1.0 rating - tie).

* In Women 18-49, ABC was home to 3 of Daytime's Top 5 programs for the fifth straight week: "General Hospital" (No. 2T, 1.4 rating/939,000), "One Life to Live" (No. 5T, 1.2 rating/816,000) and "The View" (No. 5T, 1.2 rating/799,000).

* In Women 18-34, ABC owned 3 of Daytime's Top 5 programs for the fifth consecutive week: "General Hospital" (No. 1T, 1.0 rating/330,000), "The View" (No. 4T, 0.8 rating/284,000) and "One Life to Live" (No. 4T, 0.8 rating/266,000).

* Lifted by Snoop Dogg's performance, Thursday's "One Life to Live" surpassed the series' season-to-date average by 18% in Women 18-34 (328,000 vs. 277,000) and by 4% in Women 18-49 (930,000 vs. 893,000).

* For the 18th consecutive week, "The View" stood among Daytime's Top 5 most-watched programs in Total Viewers (No. 4 - 3.38 million), and also held Top 5 ranks in Women 18-34 (No. 4T - 0.8 rating/284,000) and Women 18-49 (No. 5T, 1.2 rating/799,000).

* Delivering another convincing victory, "General Hospital" topped CBS' "Guiding Light" in the 3 o'clock hour this week by 96% in Women 18-34 (330,000 vs. 168,000), by 31% in Women 18-49 (939,000 vs. 716,000) and by 19% in Total Viewers (2.85 million vs. 2.39 million).

Following are the Daytime Lineup averages, plus Top 5 Programs Ranks - Week of May 5, 2008:

Daytime Rank: Total Viewers Women 18-49 (Rtg/000s)

No. 1 CBS 3.63 million No. 1 NBC 1.4/898,000

No. 2 ABC 2.76 million No. 2 CBS 1.3/830,000

No. 3 NBC 2.70 million No. 3 ABC 1.2/815,000

Top 5 Daytime Programs in Women 18-49 (rank based on rating)

Program Net Rtg/000s

The Young & the Restless CBS 1.7 /1.13 million

General Hospital ABC 1.4/939,000

Days of Our Lives NBC 1.4/898,000

Bold and the Beautiful CBS 1.3/853,000

One Life to Live ABC 1.2/816,000

The View ABC 1.2/799,000

• Members

Based on the demo report, I guess ghost Dixie and the return on Jake didn't get viewers flocking to AMC. It probably tied OLTL in HHs with a 1.9/2.0 and got a 1.1 in the demos. Too bad, because the show's been on somewhat of a creative upswing. Is the show great nowadays? Not by any means. Is it good? Depends on the day. Is it better than a lot of the other shows? Probably.

• Members

Now see you and I agree on something. I had not watched AMC in years, and really never have been much of a viewer of AMC, but I started watching J/A and just really love em. I have no problem watching the show to see them and only them. Although, I like Adam. He might be the perfect soap character. I also think Erika did well with her prison scenes and it was interesting.

• Members

Hi Jess! It is perfectly alright to agree on something every now and then but I did not mean anything bad with my criticism of you yesterday. Everything is good and I value everything you have to say :)

Jesse/Angie are wonderful together. I now see why they were so popular in the 1980s...great supercouple! I am thinking about taking Ryan/Kendall out of my Top Ten Favorite Couples List and adding Jesse/Angie to number ten.

Adam has always been a favorite of mine and I am loving him with Ghost Dixie (sorry Angie! :))

And Erica is my ultimate favorite character. I started watching in March/1991 when Janet Green came to town...at first, I only watched for Janet/Natalie, then it was for those two and Wildwind, and in late 1992/early 1993 I watched for everybody :)

• Members

That's exactly how I came back to AMC. I left years ago and swore I would never, ever come back. I started watching JnA only. Then I realized that I was liking Tad again. Then Erica went to prison and in process began to behave like an adult. (While I enjoy Jack/Erica I've always found Erica most interesting outside of her pairing du jour.) I used to watch the whole show a.k.a JnA scenes in 10 minutes now I'm watching the whole show and only ff-ing through the sextet.

I'm not one of those "bringback" viewers. I love Jesse/Angie but I wasn't sitting around saying "this show really need to bring back Jesse and Angie." Frankly I think nostalgia is destroying the genre. AMC gave me something interesting to watch. Here and now and in the present. That's why I'm watching. This is very different from OLTL. RC seems so desperate to return to the 80's I half expect the next musical guest to be Wham.

• Members

I enjoy the ghost scenes on AMC too. Normally I hate ghost stories. Jessie and Angie are my favorite couple on soaps now.

As far as characters, I think Zack on that show plays sexy leading man about as well as any man I see on soaps. Dan Gautheir, the former Kevin on OLTL, was so great because he would be acting while standing still and not saying anything. I believe Zack is better than Dan's Kevin. He can communicate with his eyes, his facial expressions and not even say a word.

Archived