• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Carl, love the articles!

Have you listened to the blog talk radio interviews with some of the Ryan's Hope actors?

If not, here is the link. There are interviews with Louise Shaffer, Kelli Maroney, Malcolm Groome, Ilene Kristen, John Gabriel, Helen Gallagher, Christopher Durham and a few others.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/robertreidshow

This quote from the 1976 Malcolm Groome article reminded me of one of the blog radio interviews with Malcolm.

Malcolm briefly mentioned that Pat was a ladies' man when the show started, and he said several months into the show they changed Pat, and made him closer to Malcolm's personality. Malcolm said he is kind of a really nice guy - and that was what they made Pat.

How about the Gordon Thomson's 2009 blog radio interview? He talks a little about Ryan's Hope. He said the audience didn't buy Merit Kara. The story wasn't true to the show - the show was about Ryan's Bar and Maeve's kitchen. He calls MK the only time the show "went wrong".

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/brandonsbuzz/2009/01/16/dynasty-and-santa-barbara-star-gordon-thomson-visits-brandons-buzz

Edited by safe

• Members

Thanks. I will have to listen to those. I think RH went wrong other times (I blame Kimberly and the mob) but he does have a point.

I was wondering if you could give us a recap of the 5-10 RH episodes from 1981 aired in 2007 but won't be aired this time around?

I'm glad you enjoyed the articles. I have some more here and there, I think.

That's interesting what Groome says about Pat. I wonder if he said anything about the time in 1976 that he decided not to do press because he had no story.

• Members

So...anybody else biting the bullet and watching the rewind one last time?

I figured, oh, why not. Although, admittedly, I still do ff Delia a lot. I could never bring myself to like the character no matter who played her.

You can really see how new a show and how new an experience it is for a lot of the actors. A few of them haven't quite gotten into the skin of the characters yet. You can see people looking at the camera or looking at the cue cards, or waiting for somebody to cross from point a to point b before they say their next line. Michael Levin and Kate Mulgrew seem pretty natural from the getgo, though, in terms of knowing their characters.

• Members

Yes, I'm watching again. I had to see Nell one last time, and the early stories with Bucky and Pat and Jack/Mary, and some of the early moments of establishing the characters. The show did such a good job of using Frank to show us so many different people. As much as I liked some of Frank's later stories, after they finally got the right actor, I still wish they'd been allowed by ABC to kill him off.

I think Ilene Kristen is a real dynamo as she tries to find her feet in this role. There is a haunting quality to Delia which is lost by 1976 or so. It was there again with Randall Edwards, but again, the show didn't use it, because Delia is so tempting to just use as an instigator.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Carl, I only recall a little bit. Delia sending an anonymous fan letter to Barbara exposing EJ as a reporter. Barbara takes the letter to the producer and has EJ fired from The Proud and the Passionate. Joe and Siobhan missing each other around Christmas. Faith and Ari being followed.

Since some people have these episodes in their possession, from the 2007 rebroadcast, I think someone will, eventually, put them on YouTube

No mention fo that. The interviewer was quite a fan of Pat's. He kept saying what a good guy Paddy was.

• Members

Thanks for what you remembered, that sounds like some of it might have been good. I can't remember most of it. It's sad to watch 1981 sometimes, especially anything with that nasal Siobhan. I kind of wonder how the ratings would have been by that point if ABC soaps hadn't been going through a huge boom period.

Yeah, Paddy was good, although I think he was at his most interesting early on as a bit of a jerk. I liked the good boy/bad boy combo with Bucky and Pat.

Has Justin Deas ever talked about his RH days? I wonder why he had no story for like his last year and a half on the show.

• Members

I kind of feel like SN would have been better off offering RH on their website, x amount of episodes uploaded every week and available for a month. Is it still airing at some godawful hour? I try not to think about SN too much, so much missed potential...

• Members

5 AM Eastern. At one time they tried to knock it down to one episode a night, when they were so clearly, and clumsily, phasing out their older soaps, but then they went back to 2 a night. Ryan's Hope is a survivor (and I imagine Delia would have made their life hell...).