Y&R: Week of April 14, 2008

• Administrator

Another one...... I think it's from late 1999/Early 2000.

Victor: "My point it is......That a gold digger like Brad Carleton is not going to walk away from a pot of gold....which he would've had if I fired him. Unless if there was an incentive, in the form of a beautiful lady, who he covets for many reasons....Now that lady couldn't have been you by any chance, could it?"

Nikki: "You know, you're building this case against me ---"

Victor: "DON'T YOU TAKE ME FOR A FOOL! I AM NOT A FOOL! AND DON'T YOU EVER TAKE ME FOR ONE! At least you could've had the decency to tell me that it was Brad Carleton that you went away with. Now you must know, I'm going to find out one way or the other."

Nikki: "Alright......Yes, I was traveling with Brad. I couldn't stand another night of feeling so alone, so if you want to blame someone, blame yourself!"

Victor: "You want me to blame myself for this kind of betrayal?"

Nikki: "I was sick and tired of being lonely, Victor, and I couldn't reach you."

Victor: "So you went to this Brad Carleton fellow as a substitute, isn't it?"

Nikki: "Well, I couldn't say that, he has been wonderful to me."

Victor: "Don't you simply understand that he is trying to find another way to screw me?"

Nikki: "Oh God! Of course this has nothing to do with me, it's all about you."

Victor: "What have you done to us?.........You had an affair with an obnoxious traitor. And don't you tell me that wasn't part of the arrangment FROM THE VERY BEGINNING! DON'T INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE ANY LONGER!"

Nikki (crying): "You don't understand any of this! God! He offered me a future, Victor. He offered me a life filled with love and romance and all those things that I didn't think were possible with you anymore."

Victor: "Let me tell you something.......There are no expectations for our future anymore and there never will be......you got that? Never. Because what you have done is unforgivable."

Victor throws something and then exits the house.

Nikki (still crying): "Oh God.........Victor......."

She runs after him.

Nikki: "Victor!......VICTOR!!!!!!"

She drops to her knees crying.

Nikki: "DON'T GO!!!!!!!! DON'T GOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

:lol: I love it!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I consider the definitive Y&R style blowout, 1998:

Jill: Why I'm so sorry... oh look at you all, you're acting like I'm mistreating some helpless old woman. Well that's because you don't know the facts, the fact is that this house that we are standing in is mine! Phillip died married to me! He died loving me! Alright, he loved her once, he did, but by the time I came into their lives she was a monster, he couldn't stand to be in the same room with her! She was a fallen down drunk and she wreaked of booze and her tongue would rip your head off. I gave him something that that man hadn't had in years, I gave him love, I gave him somebody to talk to and a little attention and yes, sex. Good, healthy sex with a sober, sweet smelling woman and it drove you so mad with jealousy that you killed him! Did you know that? Did you know that she killed Phillip by driving him off a cliff while she was drunk? Go on Katherine, tell us some more about your glorious times in this house with Phillip!

Katherine: This has really got to stop Jill!

Jill: It will stop! As soon as this house and these ground are mine as Phillip wanted them to be!

Katherine: Oh you are dreaming, oh God you are...

Jill: No I'm not! I have the evidence in black and white that Phillip wanted me to have this house! Look I'm sorry about this party, I couldn't think of any other way to do this.

Christine: You handled this exactly the way you wanted to.

Jill: Yes, because I have lived for over twenty years feeling dead inside because the only man who ever really loved me was taken away from me! Yes I wanted to hurt Katherine! She killed my Phillip! Woman, you took what was mine and I am taking it back!

• Members

Ryan: What? What is it? What's wrong?

Tricia: Tell us...

Dr. Thompson: There's no easy way to tell you...

Ryan: Tell us what?

Tricia: Dr. Thompson...

Dr. Thompson: I'm sorry, the fetus... there's no heartbeat....

Tricia: What do you mean no heartbeat?

Ryan: Check again!

Tricia: Yeah, check again!

Dr. Thompson: Tricia, we've looked very carefully. We're not seeing it. I'm afraid the pregnancy is terminated.

Tricia: No, that can't be!

Dr. Thompson: Believe me, I understand your disappointment...

Tricia: But everything was fine two weeks ago.

Ryan: That's right, I was here, I was here, I saw the heartbeat, the heartbeat was fine.

Dr. Thompson: Yes, but now, there is none.

Tricia: I did everything I was supposed to do, I don't understand, how could anything go wrong?

Dr. Thompson: Sometimes these things just happen, we don't really know why.

Tricia: Why is this happening to me?

Ryan: So what do we do now?

Dr. Thompson: It's probably best to move Tricia to the hospital for a D&C, to make sure there's no chance of infection. I want you both to know that there is no reason that you can't have a baby in the future. I'll go make arrangements with the hospital.

Tricia: I am not going to the hospital, you are not gonna take my baby!

Dr. Thompson: I am so sorry....

Dr. Thompson leaves and Tricia gets up and cries

Tricia: My baby is dead? MY BABY IS NOT DEAD! NOOOOO!

Ryan: Shhh, there is no baby, there is no baby...

Tricia: Dead.... No, they can't take my baby....

Ryan: That's alright....

A great perfomance by Sabryn Genet and the beginning of the decent into madness for Tricia....

• Members

The dialogue up until Kay Alden took over was so melodramatic, soapy, and creeky, and was full of exposition, but I think it perfectly complemented the sweeping, romantic storytelling. Bill Bell was a great storyteller, but a master at dialogue writing he wasn't. When Alden went solo, circa '99, there was a noticeable change in the dialogue. Call it an improvement or not, but they did modernize the dialogue at this time. I remember some of the actors (Don Diamant comes to mind) commenting on how refreshing the change was. GH probably has the best dialogue writers in the business. AMC had some of the best dialogue in the 80s and 90s, but now, possibly with the exception of Tad (thanks to MEK) and Greenlee, it's all very generic and interchangeable.

• Members

Sabryn Genet! She was spookily, crazily awesome. I sorta felt sorry for her half the time. I will always remember her final scene in the nut-house with DeadMatt (Ric Hearst) when she kissed him goodbye. The doctors looking through the window only saw her delusional self kissing the air.

As for dialogue, Y&R has vastly improved. GH has the best dialogue (the are inordinately dependant on their dialogue writers) but IMO nothing trumped Santa Barbara for cracking dialogue.

• Members

Thank you so much for these classic scenes. I love that you all KEPT THE SCRIPTS, so to speak.

Fans far more obsessive than I...which is a GOOD thing.

It highlights how powerful selective flashbacks/mining of the past "greatest of" hits can be.

[Which, tangentially, I contrast with the new "soapnet.com", which has taken soaps out of its BRAND! Now, the tagline is about "celebrities and drama"...but that is NOT soaps...certainly not daytime TV.

They're also looking for syndicator partners...basically other sites who feature Soapnet's content [and ad] feeds. This is a totally new model.

I'm now (probably not alone in) predicting a total rebranding...possibly even a name change...within the next few years.

This is a sad contrast to what I thought the network might actually do....like broadcast "greatest of" compilations filled with the kinds of scenes you all have referenced here.]

• Members

Yeah, I thought they'd show more classic episodes, which they did somewhat this year for Valentine's Day and GH and with the return of Greenlee and Jessie and Angie. But I wish they showed classics day-long marathons at least once a month. I really don't need 3 hours of 90210 on Sat. and Sun. mornings.

I bet there's no money in it, though. Otherwise they would've done this until we were sick of it.

• Members

I can't believe no-one has posted this yet! One of the best, classiest and classic Y&R scenes ever:

(Olivia arrives outside Skanky Keesha's apartment and starts banging:)

Olivia: Open up! Open up in there! Do you hear me? OPEN UP! OPEN! Keesha!

Keesha: Who is it?

Olivia: It's Olivia Hastings, you better open up that DAMN DOOR BEFORE I BREAK IT DOWN! I'm not leaving until you open up this door, damn, open up, OPEN UP!

Keesha: Alright, alright.

(Keesha opens up and Olivia bursts in)

Olivia: I'm sure you know why I'm here.

Keesha: I have a pretty good idea.

Olivia: What kind of woman are you?

Keesha: I'm just an ordinary person, Olivia, I make mistakes!

Olivia: Oh, right, like trying to steal my husband?

Keesha: Olivia, no-one is sorrier than I am--

Olivia: Oh, SORRY? IS THAT ALL YOU'VE GOT TO SAY?

Keesha: When I met Nathan, I didn't know he was married, I never even met you, I didn't know what I was getting into!

Olivia: So, it's true... you and Nathan... and the late nights he was supposedly working he was with YOU?

Keesha: We broke it off months ago!

Olivia: OH THAT'S SWELL, WONDERFUL KEESHA!

Keesha: I thought you wanted to know--

Olivia: THE ONLY THING I WANT TO KNOW IS IF I'M HIV POSITIVE TOO! IF MY HUSBAND'S AFFAIR WITH YOU IS GOING TO END UP COSTING ME MY LIFE!

Keesha: I don't know.... I don't know, Olivia. Have you been tested?

Olivia: I just found out about you and Nathan yesterday night. There hasn't been time. I have to be tested today.

Keesha: I'm sorry.... I'm so sorry, Olivia.

Olivia: Yes, you already said that.

Keesha: What else do you want me to say?

Olivia: From the moment I learned about your test results I tried to help you, I tried to comfort you, I tried to be there for you.... As a doctor and a friend. And you let me, knowing all the while that you have been sleeping with my husband, and that because of you I could be infected with a horrible virus and you didn't say a word? Not a word? No warning, no empathy, no REMORSE?

Keesha: If I could change things...

Olivia: But you can't....

Keesha: NO! I can't! Not for myself, or for myself, whatever your tests results may show!

Olivia: Oh my God, this is so unnecessary, so DAMN UNNECESSARY, if only you had kept your hands off a married man!

Keesha: I TOLD you, I--

Olivia: Yes, I know what you told me! I know that you told me that my beloved husband failed to mention that he was married!

Keesha: It's the truth...

Olivia: Fine... Fine! When you found out the truth, did you end it? Did you? Did you end it right then and there?

Keesha: It was my mistake...

Olivia: Oh, God... How stupid! Oh God, I loved Nathan, I trusted him, and he was willing to throw it all away to have a dirty fling with a TRAMP LIKE YOU?

Keesha: Olivia, what's happened to you is terrible. You are a totally innocent victim of a tragic situation--

Olivia: Oh, that's a good word for it Keesha. "Tragic"! What happens if I'm HIV positive? My happens to my little boy if I get SICK and die of AIDS?

Keesha: Look, I had NO idea! DO YOU THINK I'D HAVE EVER BEEN WITH NATHAN IF I'D KNOW? OF COURSE NOT! I would never, knowingly, put you or anyone at risk. Whether you believe it or not I am not that kind of person!

Keesha: I understand--

Olivia: HOW? How? How could you possibly understand? You were TOTALLY thoughtless, TOTALLY careless, you didn't give a DAMN about me! You didn't care how this affair affected ME or my SON!

Keesha: I didn't know I'd been infected, I haven't seen Stan in over nine years! He was my first... I didn't know anything, I was DUMB! We weren't careful! I didn't worry about HIV, or AIDS, I mean that happens to other people! And, after all these years, he's calling me, saying he's got something to tell me and... I finally, I tried to call him back and I got connected to this hospital, when his mother told me he had just died because of AIDS. After all these years, I had no idea how badly hurt I had been from that relationship.... the real damage.... It only showed up now.

Olivia: Are you expecting sympathy?

Keesha: No, I'm just trying to EXPLAIN!

Olivia: Do you wanna talk about feeling hurt? I'm a married woman. I assume my husband is being faithful to me. I don't assume he's having a fling with another woman! Do you know that I might be pregnant? That's right, Nathan and I were trying to have another baby. I could be carrying a child right now, I child that would be carrying HIV, a child DOOMED TO DIE! WHY? Because of you, and Nathan, and your STUPID, THOUGHTLESS, CONTEMPTABLE AFFAIR?

Keesha: Olivia, I'm NOT promiscuous!

Olivia: Oh, really?

Keesha: I'm NOT! I've NEVER slept around, I haven't even had many relationships.

Olivia: Well I guess that just goes to show, doesn't it Keesha? That it only takes one incident, one incident of unprotected sex with the wrong person. When I think of all the times Nathan and I made love... my husband, the man I trusted most in this world, the man I wanted as a father to my children... everytime he touched me! Everytime, for MONTHS! He was putting my life in jeopardy. Not even thinking about it! Sleeping with you, sleeping with me and not even thinking of the consequences! WHAT KIND OF PERSON WOULD DO THAT TO SOMEONE THEY SUPPOSEDLY LOVE? WHAT KIND OF MAN WOULD DO THAT?

Keesha: I wish there was something I could say.... He DOES love you!

(Here, Olivia's voice transcends every level)

Olivia: DON'T YOU DARE SAY THAT TO ME, DON'T YOU DARE SAY THAT! Where is he?

Keesha: I don't know....

Olivia: You DID tell him?

Keesha: He came by here last night, furious, he thought I was planning to tell you about the affair, instead I told him....

Olivia: Where IS he?

Keesha: I assumed he's with you!

Olivia: No. No, he didn't come home last night, called to say he was away on business, now WHERE THE HELL IS HE?

Olivia: I swear, I don't--

Olivia: YOU LIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

Keesha: I don't--

Olivia: YOU LIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! I COULD KILL YOU, I COULD KILL YOU, OH MY GOD, DAMN YOU, DAAAAAMN YOUUUUUU! Do you realize what you've done? DO YOU? To me and my family? I COULD KILL YOU, I COULD JUST KILL YOU!

(Olivia runs out, leaving Keesha in shock).

• Members

Was watching Friday's eppy of Y&R... Bored to tears of Lily planning for a family...pretty much know when she is determined to have her way, it backfires on her..

I'm still waiting to see Alistar shock the bejeebies out of Victor sometime soon...It would be priceless to see Victor do a double-take at the Athletic club if he saw Alistar...

Archived