Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

I copy this from a website:

In 1986, Robin Wright was also offered the leading role in ‘Dirty Dancing’ but she had to turn it down because the filming was at the same time that Rob Reiner’s movie.

In fact, ‘The Princess Bride’ required a 4 month shooting schedule on location throughout England and Ireland. And the time of filming the movie, Robin Wright was playing Kelly Capwell, one of the heroines of soap opera ‘Santa Barbara’. In exchange for allowing her time off to film the movie, they required her to extend her contract by almost a year. Robin wanted to leave the soap in July 1987, but then she was chained until June 1988.

“That wasn’t a fair trade,” Robin said, “but it was worth it. My agents and managers decided that I should agree to anything, to work Saturdays, to kiss their butts for the next nine months, whatever it took to get out and do the film.”

Years later, in 1992, Robin also talked about this. She explained: “I had a clause in my two-year TV contract that let me out for four weeks once a year to do films. But no film gets shot in four weeks and I did two movies, so every extra week extended approximately a month or two onto my contract.”

In December 2015, Cary Elwes also addressed this subject: “I consider Robin a very dear friend. Everyone knows what an extraordinary talent she is, so we were lucky to get her on the film. She was doing ‘Santa Barbara’ at the time, and they wouldn’t let her out of the contract so Norman Lear, our producer, and Rob Reiner worked very hard to get them to release her.”

Edited by Nomada

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Why do you say that? because I read part of a book written by Janet Hirshenson and Jane Jenkins (casting directors of The Princess Bride). And they said at first they didn’t want to meet robin wright because among other things she was on a soap opera and probably would have pick really bad habits in the acting department

• Members

It's a credit to Wright that even as she seemingly hated being on SB she rarely seemed to phone it in or not take her work seriously. Carrington Garland was and is my favorite Kelly, but Wright's performances helped lift Kelly from a generic ingenue role that '80s soaps were littered with. Witty dialogue aside, I'm not sure how much interest I ever would have had in SB, then or now, without the incredible talent of the cast. 

Edited by DRW50