Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, never look at the Capwell timeline too closely. Look at Kelly/Joe: Kelly is younger than Channing/Brick, Mason, and Eden, and was engaged to Joe in 1979. Yet the two most popular actresses to play Kelly were born in '66 and '64, and I assume the character was not meant to be much older. So she was engaged in 1979 at 14/15? Okay. Add in that Eden's Sirenas stuff was also given as 1979, when she first met Robert and - I think - Kelly and Ted were referenced as being fairly young, and...yeah.

Like I said, just let it all roll off your back.

• Members

I believe Eden was originally supposed to be younger than Kelly. When it was obvious that there was no way Marcy Walker could be perceived as being younger than Robin Wright (MW was nearly 23 to RW's 18 at the time), the sisters' birth order was switched. 

Ironically, Todd McKee played Ted (the youngest) - but he is a couple of years older than Robin Wright in real life. That's a soap opera for you!!

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

Kelly had just turned 21 at her engagement party to Peter Flint in the pilot in 1984.  My recollection is that she and Joe dated steadily in high school, but they weren't engaged.  Joe was the same age as Warren and Channing because he was a scholarship student at their school who had to do janitorial duties as his work study (which doesn't excuse Augusta from being the first woman to sleep with Joe when he was released from prison, given that he was her son's age).  Also, it doesn't explain why Brick was older than Warren, if Warren and Channing were the same age?

However, it is never explained why Eden went to a different high school, (with Robert Barr, but not his twin) than her siblings, except that she was still in Pine Valley when the series premiered.  And Cruz must have gone to another, (presumedly public school), with Keith Timmons, Keith's dead sister, and Santana.

The one that really stands out is Elena Nikolas.  If Pamela was pregnant when CC forced her to move to Europe, then wouldn't Elena have been older than Channing/Brick?  However, they played Sherilyn Wolter as if she was the same age as Eden.

As for Sofia, my question remains as to if she and Lionel only hooked up before Channing/Brick, and after Ted, or were they hooking up the whole time?  And when did she meet and marry the Count (who happened to have adopted a German son whose parents may have been shot by CC during WWII) after the yacht in 1969 or after shooting Channing in 1979?  If she met him in 1969, they were together longer than she was with CC.

I found two more clues.  In the 1984 episodes, Ted says that he was five when Sofia disappeared, which is why he didn't recognize her immediately.  However, in 1991, it is revealed that the precipitating incident to Eden's "split personality" was that she saw Sophia fall off of the Lockridge yacht.  This would mean it occurred when she was around 8 but in the flashback Eden was a teenager (also it doesn't explain why she wasn't triggered when she lived on Cruz's boat, or when she was held captive by Kirk Cranston at Marineland)?    

Edited by j swift

• Members

I had assumed that Kelly was supposed to be in her 20s at the outset of the show. Joe's mother Marisa worked at Lyman Prep (in the cafeteria, I believe), so he got to go to the prestigious private school either tuition-free or at a highly reduced tuition. All the Capwell kids attended the school, of course (and Joe's younger sister Jade would later attend and be a classmate to Ted and Laken). So, I assume they would have become engaged after finishing school at 18. 

As for the timelines of the other stories...I get a headache trying to figure out the timing. Sorry!

• Members

It seems unfair that Danny also went to Lyman Prep but his sister Santana had to go to public school with Keith and Cruz.  Unfortunately, a good education didn't help Danny when he became one of the many who disappeared from Santa Barbara...

• Members

As everyone probably has heard on the news by now, the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is burning down. 

Please register in order to view this content

I still remember the Paris remote with Kelly (or was it Eden?) mentioning it and seeing its glorious exterior. So sad to think it is now gone.

Edited by Wendy

• Members

Here's an odd fact: according to the French Santa Barbara Online site, they were filming in Paris exactly 30 years ago this week.

The shooting in the French capital took place for six days, from April 10th to 16th 1989, for a total of 55 sequences, spread on six episodes of 45 minutes. The shooting required the presence of 30 persons, actors included, and a budget of more than 500 000 dollars !

It was an interesting remote because it was a big splashy story that wound up having very little impact.  Kelly (now Carrington Garland) was living in Paris and Eden got the psychic premonition that her baby Adriana was in France.  So she hightailed it Paris, Kelly went undercover as Adriana's nanny (not Eden as suggested on the French website).  It turned out that Adriana was living was Cruz's con artist brother Ric (no K) Castillo and his wife Hollis.  By the end of the sequence, Hollis had jumped in the Seine and Ric decided to move to Santa Barbara.  Ric worked for Bunny and seemed to have never stolen any cash for himself while in Paris.  Then Robert Barr comes back to town and Ric winds up disappearing. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

And famous Hollywood actress (and recovering addict) Victoria Lane went to Santa Barbara Public High with that whole crew.

Ric (no K) and Carmen Castillo may have also gone to SB High, however, Kelly and everyone their age seems to have to memory of them.  

I'm starting to believe that with all of the disappearances (Pearl, Ric, Nick Hartley, Cassie) and, residents not remembering other townspeople from their youth, that there was an underlying X-files-esque mystery going on in Santa Barbara that we as an audience were never clued into at the time.  Why else would half of Kelly's lovers disappear without a mention?

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by j swift